Fishing Equipment Questions...

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by ThaWstSide, Jul 17, 2009.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, some of you might have read in another post about my experience with my leader breaking at the loop with the clasp.

Anybody else ever experience this problem?

The leaders I had bought at our local baitshop are approx. 1 month old. I was using a size 7/0 eagle claw sea circle hook. Nothing odd or out of the ordinary for catfishing in my opinion...

I grabbed my pole, proceeded to set the hook, as I felt the tension and starting to reel everything "freed" up and i continued to reel in and upon reaching down to grab my leader to rebait, I noticed that it had broke and the clasp/hook was completely gone.

Any insight here?

The leaders are Eagle Claw 20lb Test Steel Braid.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jim,
    Throw those things away! They are not necessary Tie your own leaders using a good abrasion resistant mono such as Berkley Big Game. Use a knot such as the palomar and you will be good to go...W

3. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Winston, you are the man... I heard about you from other members and I appreciate your help here!

I have done that before (making my own), but thought I was being smart, I guess I was just turning out to be lazy. I will tie myself up some leaders using my 40lb Berkeley Big Game Mono!

Thanks Again!

4. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    1000000000% right on that :wink:

5. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    jim make your onw leader with mono i use 50# mono

6. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I make my own as well with the big game, they work just fine. Making them your self has some benefits like being able to try different lengths of leaders, hard to do with the steel leaders. I am thinking about switching over to 80lb braid as my main line and use 25 to 30 lb test big game as the leaders. Mainly for the abrasion resistance on my main line when in the ohio river. Hope it works out.

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like the best of the best. Let us know how it works out. Stay safe and good fishing!!!

8. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with winston the best knot out there is the palomar knot the only trouble I have ever had out of them is when I snag on something it is the worst to get unsnagged or breaking it