Fishing equipment and airlines

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Phatdaddy, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Anybody have any experience taking fishing eqipment on airlines? Havent flown in years and with all the new security and rules these days since 9/11 I dont know quite what to expect. I got some new rods for x-mas and its just killing me not being able to use them. Thinking about getting one of those $99 flight specials to somewhere warmer.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Shouldn't be a problem as checked luggage in a rod carrying tube of some sort - you'll probably pay an oversize fee if the rods won't break down to a smaller size, I'm not sure what the length limit is but you can check with the airlines to find out for sure.

3. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I take various rods on flights to various places and I've never had a problem. You'll pay a charge if they're over-sized, but it probably won't be too much. I paid 20 pounds to get about 8 rods to Romania. They were in a Flambeau Bazooka. I had a airport baggage truck run over it while the rods were in it about 4 trips ago and although the case split a little, the rods were fine aprt from one slightly bent guide. And I'm still using the same case!

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    rods and reels are no problem. sinkers and knives are aother story if they're in your luggage sinkers show up on the x-ray and they'll pull you aside and question you and depending on the airport(philly international) they won't let them on. i had to leave my tackle behind.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea last time I was on airport, I saw one kid bring fishing poles and small tackle.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you can check a rifle I wouldn't see why you couldnt check tackle also.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It varies by airline, so you have to look it up on a case by case basis. Most allow rods, with a length limitation, and most count the rods as one piece of luggage. I flew to Florida a year or so back with a couple of 2-piece 7ft Ugly Stik Tiger rods, packed in a box, with no problems. If I remember right, the length limit was 6.5 feet for 1 piece rods on that airline.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You will need a rod tube, and you can get them online or at BPS or Cabelas. It helps to have two piece rods if you are flying.

No problem with hooks, sinkers, scissors, or knives if they are in your checked baggage. If you carry them in carry-on you will be stopped and have the scissors and knives taken.

9. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    on my last trip I carried on my reels with no problem but found it was cheaper to send my rods UPS to where I was going. this year I am thinking of sending everything by UPS less hassle.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    With the way baggage loss and theft has gone up since 9/11, if you can, it may be better to ship your stuff nowadays. Not always possible or convenient, but the loss factor is reduced.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think u need to check with the airline first.

12. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thank you all!! This is why i love this place, somebodys always willing to take time to answer a question and with the vast experience accumulated here someones got the right answer. Now just got to figure out where to go.

13. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    How about the Rio Ebro in Spain?!! :big_smile:
    Enjoy your trip mate, wherever you choose to go, and have a safe flight.

14. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Will, I know a bunch of people that travel to go fishing, and they have found out that it's easier and cheaper to send tackle via UPS or FedEx. If you decide to take the tackle with you, check the airline regs about fishing tackle and golf equipment. Most of the time, the airlines allow more space and weight for golf equipment than for other stuff. If you go that route, get a golf club hard case and a cheap golf club, and stick what tackle you can in it. :wink: You'll be ready for all the water hazards on the golf course.
    Will

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Will is right about Fedex and UPS. I have hunted out west and some of the guys will ship excess baggae via UPS or FEDEX instead of paying the excess baggage fee.

It really depends on how many other bags you have. If you are maxed out already on luggage, then it is going to cost you around $80 each way for the excess baggage fee which is what the rod tube would be considered. :angry:

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Recently, a dumpster full of airline luggage was found in Houston. Seems that a contract outfit working for airlines handling baggage had some thieves working for it, and its not as uncommon for the thefts to take place. That, combined with the fact that lost luggage is up dramatically in the past few years, would indicate that if you can, anything of value is best shipped ahead of time. Things like long rod cases are invitations to thieves.

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have flown with rods several times and have shipped some fishing gear once, too (hard to fit all the gear I want to bring on a vacation in the car!)

Take the reels off the rods and pack them in a carry-on if possible, otherwise pack them in a checked bag. The rods need to be carefully cushioned (I wrap them in a couple of spare towels) and packed in a rod carrier of some sort.

For flying, I have always used carriers made from PVC tubing with end caps simply held on with one screw through the side of the cap (and into the tubing). Never had any trouble with that until this past summer. These days the baggage inspectors have to be able to get inside everything easily. Not that taking out one small screw would have been hard, but they chose to break the cap off instead. In future I will get the end cap wtih a screw-in plug and use that instead. If the rod carrier is under 4 feet, sometimes a bit longer (two piece rods?) you can usually carry it on and put it in an overhead bin.

18. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Check the rules for luggage carefully for your flight. There are certain destinations (like Alaska) where certain types of equipment will be allowed in place of a regular bag. I took my rods to alaska with me, and the idiot baggage checker at DFW argued me to a near stand-still thinking that I couldn't check something like that. I wasn't moving, and I knew I was right, but he still didn't know. I stood my ground in line and made him call in a manager. Worked out just peachy for me. Do your homework on the internet on particular destinations. If certain sports (skiing, golf, fishing, etc.) are popular in the area you're traveling to, there are often different rules and/or prices for bringing certain types of equipment with you.

Jerrod

19. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Flambeau Bazooka is the only thing I trust with my rods. Just load it and check it. I have one that extends to allow me to take my 8' rods when I fly to Cabo San Lucas. Buy small brass master locks to replace the clips if you have quality rods, otherwise don't expect them all to make it to your destination. The airports are full of thieves employed as baggage handlers,
    and the locks take too much time to open them or cut the plastic out. Make sure you are covered for full replacement value by the airlines lost luggage policy. Make a list of make and model of the rods. If they have to pay full value for lost goods they probably police their handlers better.

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It’s always possible your luggage will disappear. If you have something that you couldn’t bear to part with, or wanted to insure, shipping it separately is probably a good idea. When I flew with my gear, I put the rods in a cardboard box marked “fishing rods”, and the reels and other gear were in my other checked bag, along with clothes, etc. I would have been disappointed to loose the rods, but even more disappointed to loose the bag.

But I guess I’m willing to risk the rods ($120 total value) to not have to make the extra trips to UPS or Fedex (both at home and at the destination), and it seems like the shipping fees would approach the value of the rods after not too many trips, while taking them on the plane was free in my circumstance.

The airlines do insure your bags up to a certain dollar amount, usually not enough to really pay for it. One thing I forgot to mention is that they made me sign a damage waiver on the rods, so those were not insured at all. Again, the policies vary by airline.

Another thing, I used a cardboard box, but a rod case would be a lot better option, especially if the rods getting damaged would ruin your trip. I want to go to Egypt some day and fish for Nile Perch, and I will definitely get a case for my rods for that trip.