Fishing during bug hatches

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by RonSki, Jul 23, 2009.

1. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Last night I got chased off the river by the worst bug hatch I've ever seen. They started just before dark, and while it was still light out, all you could see was a yellowish mist over the water. I literally could not see more than about 60 yards. Once it got dark, I couldn't even use the spotlight, and the river was extremely low, so I kinda NEEDED it. It started with stoneflies, but the midges took over quickly. They were so thick you could hear the constant buzzing of their wings, and it was loud too. I couldn't see, couldn't breathe, they were in my eyes, ears and nose. I ended up going back to the boat launch at .001mph faster than the current :wink: I'm sure most everyone who fishes the river at night has come across a hatch like this, I'm just curious what everyone else does to keep them out fishing. What do you do when the bugs are so thick you can hardly breathe??

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i use a can of bug spray and a lighter:wink:

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Try to keep the lights off and just eat what you have to.

4. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    I take my turkey huntin mask along. Its a mesh that has a whole u can see through. I just turn it around so the opening is in the back and look through the mesh. It'll keep the bugs out of ur eyes nose mouth and ears while running lines

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Same here...I use a bug hood..Just a mesh bag to put over your head..That at least keeps them out of your mouth,ears and nose..