Fishing & Doctors in SE Minn?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MINNESOTA TALK' started by Crawdad, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Sure could use some info on fishing & camping spots while i'm getting an overhaul at Mayo. i have to be in Rochester a few minutes each morning mid-July till end of August & can spend the rest of the time fishing. Figured i 'd tow double the fishing boat behind our little camper but I'm ignorant about where the fishing's good, what the lakes are like, motor restricitons, etc. or where to camp.
    Sure would appreciate any help getting acquainted with your state. I may not have a chance to come back.

2. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    There's not really much for lakes too close to Rochester. I know people fish Lake Zumbro for channel cats quite a bit. It's around a half hour or so from Rochester.

3. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Hey Crawdad-

How far away from Rochester do you care to venture??

The Might Mississippi is about an hour to the east of Rochester and the Minnesota River is about an hour to the west. Both are flathead cat country.

Lake Zumbro is just north of Rochester and is a small reservoir. You should have no problem with reservoir fishing being from Missouri. Zumbro has decent channel cattin' in it.

4. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Thanks guys, been researching & looks like i'll camp near Lake City, at Pepin lake on the Mississippi. It's only 30 or 40 min to Mayo & big enough to provide plenty of variety in fishing & sightseeing. We'll also take side trips to the power plant lake at Zumbro or the string of small lakes just West of I-35 at Waterville or Elysim.
    If any of you folks in that area want to get together for fishing or just for a cold one, drop me a note.

5. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN

Hello Crawdad,

I see you may be taking a side trip to Waterville and Elysian. My family has a cabin right outside of Waterville on the west side of Lake Tetonka. I must say there is some great fishing in almost all the lakes in that area. The big cats are hard to come by on lake tetonka but you can catch a occasional channel cat upwords of 10lbs. Now if you want to go after walleyes and largemouth bass and a lot of small northern pike with and occasional large pike then Lake Tetonka and Lake Sakata are the lakes to fish. I don't know if you will have a boat with you and if you don't that is perfectly fine, you can catch more then enough fish from shore. I recomend if you want to catch walleyes go to the bridge on the far east side of Lake Sakata, just fish with a slip sinker and a leech and you can catch walleyes there all summer long. Another little bit of info for you is that the old MN state record largemouth was caught on Lake Tetonka, if you want some big bass just cast soft plastics or spinnerbaits in the shallows where you see stucture like downed trees or docks, if you do this you will be garenteed to catch some mighty nice largemouth bass on these lakes. If you want anymore info for the Waterville and Elysian area just let me know and I would be glad to help you.

Take Care!

Sincerely, Kevin