Fishing Delta Mendota Canal and sloughs

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Catfishhunter85, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Catfishhunter85

Catfishhunter85 New Member

State:
    Fresno, CA.
    Hello everyone,
    My name is Derek, I'm new to this forum but old to fishing. I'm in the Fresno area, some of the guys from work want to go fishing this weekend. We looked at the fishing report in the Fresno Bee for 9/5/07. It said the Delta Mendota Canal had 4 fish for catfish:crazy: near the Firebaugh area. ? Has anyone fished this area before? and how do we get to this canal. We are also thinking about going to Mc Clure Reservoir our lake Isabella they all had a 4 for catfish. Any help for any of these areas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help, I Will post how the trip went.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Derek,
    I fish west fresno a lot. Going out there Fri or Sat this week. The bee report is not that accurate. What time you going, we could hook up and I could show ya'll a few spots.

Welcome to the BOC brother:wink:

3. Catfishhunter85

State:
    Fresno, CA.
    The guys at work have not yet decide were to go. But if we go to the delta canal, we will take you up on your offer. It would be nice to know where to go to get some cats. Have you fished the Mendota slough off HWY 180. I have fished that area all the way to the back and have had no luck, or very little look.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Derek, Hello from the South Bay (Santa Monica bay)of Los Angles....Welcome aboard the catfish web site....... there are many here in this state but don't all post all of time...... we have the pay lakes down here, or san diego lakes 80+ miles to the south....

Might have to hook up with Robb to get the spots from Mendota.... I've been to Isabella a time or two..... fished from shore and a boat.... fresh bait is good, and stink works as well....fish the dam area... engineers cove, and south shore launch ramp... more of the south shore has two nice coves..... then there is always the camp nine on the east shore line..... clams work good too.

might be nice, nice and hot there this weekend.... I'd fish Mendota cause it is closer ..

bayrunner ray

5. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Derek- Check the main Mendota thread. Lots of info there. Lately we have been catching lots of small bullheads in the Game Reserve but there are still plenty of channels and once in a while a decent white cat is caught.

CLICK

6. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC, Derick.
    You get with Robb and he'll hook you up with the hot spots over by Mendota.
    But keep him away from anything you brought to eat, he flavors everything he gets near with Danny Kings.:smile2:

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    LOL! Hey Tom, I been out of DK's for a few weeks now:sad2: lol! I try to wipe my hands ever now and again:eek:oooh: lol!

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Welcome to the BOC Derek

9. Catfishhunter85

State:
    Fresno, CA.
    Thanks to everyone for the hellos
    Its good to find a place for catfish lovers like me:roll_eyes:. Looks like the guys form work want to go to lake Isabella, but after reading the Mendota thread it makes me want to pick up some DK's and head to the slough:big_smile:. I have fished all those areas many of times, by the bridge, on the bridge, over the bridge, past the bridge all the way to the back. I have fished the two points on the left side of the bridge. I always used anchovies. I'm surprised I have not seen some of you guys out their. I'm in a red jeep, If you see me out there stop by and say hi. I have even got stuck in the Mendota mud back there, not in the 4X4 but in a friends van, had to call the wife to bring the 4X4 to pull us out, thats a call you do not want to make, she still lol about that:angry:. I even know a way to get to the bridge when the gate is closed. But I just bought 2 boats for $200.00 so when I'm done working on them I will be fishing Mendota in my boat. I can not wait for that day. Well Thanks for all the info. I will post how the trip went.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Derek, Watch the wind up there at Bella. Road is pretty windy as well. Some nice size channel in there though.
    I been fishing the wildlife refuge for bout 30 years now. There are big cats in the slough, just got to know where they are at. Different spots for different water flow, weather, current, ect...... You ever fish James RD? That can be a productive place as well:wink: Best of luck and look forward to a great story.

11. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    My son was at Isabella two weeks ago and said there was some type of slimy thing that was related to a jellyfish covering the water and that it adhered to every thin. They couldn't even get in the water and boaters were advised not to launch because some moats had accumulated 1500 lbs of the stuff.

12. Catfishhunter85

State:
    Fresno, CA.
    Hello everyone,
    Will the lake Isabella trip was less than successful we baged only 2 cats, with 5 people fishing with two poles each. The trip was bad from the start HWY 178 had a cannon fire so we took 155, it was 66 miles of pure hell, so many curves our top speed was 25 mpr. We got there so late we did not have time to investigate the lake before it got dark. So we fished to north side of the lake, the water level is very, very low. There was a canal blocking us from the main lake, and no way to get around it so we had to fish in that canal all night. By morning we had no fish, I got so pissed off I stared casting over the canal into the main lake were I baged the two fish. Some locals felt so sorry for us, because we drove down from Fresno, and had no fish they gave us there 4 cats