Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I calling out to all fisherman who fish from shore. Is there an advantage to casting into deeper water or am I just as likely to catch channel cats closer to shore. The Hudson where I fish is about a half a mile wide.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,540 Posts
Jeffrey,
I am a bank fisherman and I believe there are times that getting closer to the channel will get the bigger fish. Watch some of Catfish Dave's older videos when he was strictly fishing the bank. He was so successful for so long that all of his spots got overrun. Now he's in a boat.
That said, big fish will move into the shallows to trap baitfish when they are feeding. The trick is figuring out when they will be feeding and being there to ambush 'em. :)

Hopefully, other more experienced fisherman will chime in and help us out on this.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I try to cast to known structure more then for depth. For most of the year here if I'm in 3-15ft of water then I'm good. I've caught channels so shallow that the water barely covered their backs. Also caught them in 30ft plus. Honestly it's more important to figure out when/where the fish you're after move around during the course of the year then how far you can cast.

And if legal...running multiple rods is your friend from the bank...then you ain't gotta chose shallow or deep 😂

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,320 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^
What they said!
Probably fishing’s weirdest phenomenon is that the boat guys cast to shoreline and the bank guys cast to the horizon. Both have their own time and place but the answer is usually somewhere in between.
Spokey’s reference to structure and Neill’s reference to the channel is right on. The channel edge is a major feature overlooked by many as they don’t recognize it as structure.

…W

·
Registered
Justin from Utah
1,323 Posts
Where I fish I have literally caught fish 3' from the shore in 2'deep water. That is in a channel that is about 80' wide and I catch fish from one side of the channel to the other but the most productive for me is 2-12' from three edge closest to me. But another honey hole I have if I don't cast 50-75 yards I'm not going to catch a thing. Do there are so many factors involved and lots of hair pulling needed. Winston and myself have that step down lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The channel in the Hudson is far from shore, but I think I can reach the edge with a surf casting rod. In this case, should I switch to a bait casting reel or stay with a sin casting reel?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Depends on what you're more comfortable with tbh. My dad could outcast with his 12ft spinning no matter what baitcasting rig I used (although he could throw a baitcaster for any distance). At the same time if we're talking about a huge casting distance, then a non-levelwind baitcaster with good spool bearings may be needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts