Fishing deep water humps...How to???

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by dwclark, Nov 17, 2007.

1. dwclark

dwclark New Member

State:
    texas
    Any advice or suggestions on how to fish deep water humps? I am used to fishing big open flats in texas lakes, but now that i have moved to OK the nearby lakes are deep with big humps.

2. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know if you have any flow in the lakes you are fishing but here we have some flow so I anchor on top of the hump and put two baits on top of the hump 2 baits around the middle of the hump and 2 at the bottom corner of the hump on the downstream side of the hump. I will usually fish a spot for 45 minutes to an hour checking the baits at least once. I fish around man made structure quite a bit and also bluffs that I seem to catch more fish around, but I catch bigger fish off the humps.

3. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    If its a lake I would drift fish across those real deep humps with drift rigs and a drift sock .

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I agree with gearhead, and make sure that you have enough line out so that your baits stay on the bottom.

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    In new lakes I fish...I'll first study the topo maps usually available at local sporting goods stores...or even a big store...such as Bass Pro Shops Cabelas. (They both stock several lake topo maps nationwide) Also asking locals at the baitshops will SOMETIMES yield good starting points. (Depends entirely who you talk to and what their motive is)

When the time comes...I plan on the first fishing trip there being an exploratory mission...gathering as much data as possible...and filling out that days entry in my fishing journal...perhaps setting a few waypoints on the gps unit.

Locating the underwater humps in Oklahoma lakes is something I'm familiar with...and is a productive way to find big blues.

The real key is finding humps with structure on top of them...heavy timber, rock piles, holes, ect.

Being relative to features such as dropoffs, river channels, shallow water, and ledges is an added bonus.

I initially cruise unfamiliar water...keeping an eye on the fishfinder and being ready to mark locations with gps or marker buoys.

Another good option is to hire a guide the first time or two to become more familiar with the lake.

6. bankslot

bankslot New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This suggestion is only if your location allows floats and chumming.

Take a 5 gallon used plastic paint bucket. Drill holes at the bottom on each side of the bucket large enough to slide a 2 to 3 foot piece or rebar from your local lumber company. Buy two of these and feed them trough from one side to the other of the plastic bucket. There should be equal portion of the bar sticking thru each side. I you have any heavy scrap steel use it as additional weight. Mix a bag or a portion of bag of cement thick and pour it into the bucket. Take an old pipe clamp, like you would use for a TV antenna muffler holder, and put a nut above and one below the back side of the clamp with the back bar in place. Press this into the cement until there is about and inch left above the top of the cement. This will give something to tie the rope to. The bottom of the clamp will hold the clamp in place in the cement. Take a length of rope, nylon is best because of rotting, and tie enough to reach the bottom of your spot you want to fish A BUNCH and an additional 5 to 10 foot. At the top of this rope tie a 5 gallon jug similar to a milk jug. Restaurants use these for oil and fire departments use them for fire retardant additive. If you want you can put your name of it so folks maybe will know and care whose jug it is and leave it alone. Take this heavy sucker and go to your spot and throw it over. The bucket has the weight and the spikes help keep it from dragging. In swift current or places of high wind you may want to have more than one bucket attached to the line. Don't tie them on until you reach your spot (weight problem) and them tie on to bottom one after you have run the rope thru the others. This should give you a spot you can run up to and hook the front or back of your boat each time you want to go where you know the fish are.

If you are in an area that allows chumming go to the feed store and buy a couple of sacks of cattle cubes. The large size. The cubes are taken with you when you go to your spot. Before you tie up take a bag to a bag and a half and go up and down in front of your boat and slowly spread your cubes where your bait will land. It will take sometimes 30 min to an hour but the cats will come. For some reason the blues will sometimes start to surface on the top. Every once in a while throw out from you remaining cubes a few hands full to a coffee can or two. The blues you catch will look like balloons from eating the cubes. This is allot of fun. Some say I am cheating by doing this but it is so much fun and fast fishing its hard to stop even if I wanted too. :wink:

WARNING: Do not do this in very high river currents in a small boat as it may swamp you. Also do not this in a really high wind for the same reason. If you are in larger boat such as 16ft or bigger, be sure your bilge is working. The waves will wash over the part of your boat facing the wind. Have enough sense to know when the wind is too high and the current is too fast. ALWAYS

7. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Hell of a first post! Welcome to the BOC. Do the blues you catch doing this have any size to them?

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Outstanding first post. Sent you a "thanks" and some rep.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jim, welcome to the BOC/SOC best catfishing site on the web:cool2:.

10. bankslot

bankslot New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thank you for the comments. This is really a great way to take folks fishing who come to visit and want to catch blues. Especially those who have not fished much. You will catch a boat load from 3 to 8 lbs. A few from 8 to 12 lbs and every once in a while some that will go over that. I retired a little over a year ago and moved to the lake. I fished really hard for bass for 30 years and that became more work than fun so I quit. I have been cat fishing for only about 2 years and have as yet to catch anything like a lot of pictures you folk on the site have. I still have time and now that I have found this site I am ready a better fisherman. At least in my mind so far. LOL

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Daryl, just a couple of things for your general information. Next week, rather starting tomorrow, Jan 7, 2008, the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife will be conductng seminars at a loction near you to discuss proposed changes to the fish and game regulations. Here is a link to this topic...

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/publicmeeting.htm

Also, over the weekend of May 31, June 1 and June 2, there will be a rather large gathering at Keystone Lake for members of the B.O.C. and guests. It is an open event, no charges. It is located at the New Manford Campground, Manford, Oklahoma. We will have representation from Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri, California and actually quite a few other locations. Consider this a special invitation for you to come and join us... you can find the thread under the "gatherings" topics.

If you can' wait that long, our friends in Arkansas will have a gathering over the first weekend in May at Lake Degray. There should be a lot going on that should picque your interest.

12. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC

I'm going to have to try that. That's interesting about the blues surfacing. Does this also work for channels?

13. bankslot

bankslot New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    AwShucks - thank you for the information.

14. bankslot

bankslot New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sometimes you will catch a channel but not that often. If you are really in the blues it is nothing to catch 10 or 20 per hour per person.. Sorry about the public posts. I don't have 10 posts so I cannot contact personally on BOC.

15. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Great tip. I have used these cubes before. They work good. Welcome to the BOC.