Fishing day or night

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by 1 catbuster, Sep 4, 2009.

1. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Just been wondering if more people prefer to fish daytime vs night. I seem to do better in the day. And wanted to ask when do you catch the most fish.

2. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Ive had better luck at night for cats. always.

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I just like to fish. So day or night works for me. I have better luck catching fish during the day but bigger fish at night. It also has to do with the temp and who I have to deal with.

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Day or night, they're both equally good for me. I used to do best during the afternoons, but this year I've really been hitting it hard at nights to up my game a bit. Now I do well at night also. It's always about the habits of the fish, where they will be at certain times of the day vs weather and water conditions. ABut as Mark said, weather and conditions also affect wqhen I want to go. I'd much rather be out there when no one else is around, the ramps empty, and the temps are bearable.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    One would be hard pressed to beat 'night' time for catfishing. The fish move away from structure where they feel protected in daytime and began there normal feeding patterns. I've found in order to be successfull with your daytime catfising, you must be much more precise with your presentations. In other words, 'you gotta get it right on there nose'. At night time, when the fish are aggressive and feeding, its easier in that they will find you!

I prefer day time catfishing, but night time almost always is a better bite for numbers, and for bigger fish.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Rather be a night time fishing trip. Always seems more productive.

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Me, I always do better durring the day, good fish and lots of them.. But ive got to say im trying to switch over to some nightime fishing to get away from the crowds, I know they are out there, but so far not doing real well after dark...:confused2: But learning how is part of the fun...
    Puddle

8. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 New Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    I fish both and day and night, wether or not its night or day depends on what Im going after and where. Flathead rivers I fish mostly at night. Channels at a pond day till a little after dusk then I hit the river if I still want to fish.

9. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    as a bank fisherman, i find its hard to beat night fishing for cats. like nanner said, they move out of cover and in to areas that are easier to target.

10. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    just gotta put yer time in you'll get them!!!:wink: maybe sit a little bit longer at that one good lookin' spot longer

11. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I like night but am a bank fisherman. I don't feel as safe at night out there. I had a couple come out on the dike I was fishing tonight. I was like 20 feet from the end and they brought a pit bull. His wife sat down about 5 feet from my pole, then the guy says to his wife if he gets stupid let me know I will give him a attitude adjustment. I just acted like I didn't hear them. You never know what your going to get out there. They turned out to be ok but I didn't stick around to much longer.

12. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    I try to pull all nighters most of the time when I fish. Get to my spot couple hours before sunset and stay couple hours after sunrise. But I have worked grave yard for 7 years and just fits my schedule.

13. free agent

free agent New Member

State:
    Indy/ Living in STL MO.
    Moto were you fishing alone????

14. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    In Herculaneum. I would hate to throw people in the river. They were lucky I am a christian. But I am a Marine also.:angry: It's water under the bridge now.

15. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I catch all my fish at night, I dont like day fishing much. Cant really compare the two since I dont day fish. Mike, dont ya jus love those types? I gotta deal with drunks and pit bulls too, part of the time. But like you I am a Christian.

16. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It's tough out there Mike. I like to fish at night, especially for flathead. They are my favorite fish to catch. I have had run ins with a lot of hoodlum types. Some people absolutely have NO respect. Trust me I know, I work for Law Enforcement. Fishing at night anywhere in the KC downtown area or some of the local lakes/resevoirs, you will run into bad people. All you can really do is fish a different area or be prepared to defend yourself if needed. I know this is sad, but you know as a Christian, we are living in a world where everyone does not believe the same things! Hang in there and continue to enjoy what God has given us in the outdoors. :big_smile::wink:

17. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Daytime for sure.

18. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Dave, in my experience it depends on what size catfish you looking for. You've seen my profile and all the Channels in my album were caught from daylight until noonish. They were all actively feeding along the rock lines in no more than 2 ft of water. Now however, as Nanner and others have said here the bigger Blues and Flats will come out of hiding at night to feed. I have found that the hours between midnight and daylight to be the best time for large cats and especially large Flatheads.

19. GawnFishin

GawnFishin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I prefer nite no power boats running all over and most people are in bed so i get the river all to my self. Ive also caught my biggest fish at nite never do that good during the day. As it gets colder i will fish the day Blues but thats a month or so away yet

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Unfortunately on my lake ya gotta fish nights to do well. We still fish the day time but its not as near as good. Other lakes here do great during the day but ole Lake Hartwell wont give em up that easy.

On a regular basis my fishing starts at about 1am ; )