Fishing Database

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BKS72, Oct 28, 2006.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I read a lot of posts on keeping a fishing journal or log to track when, where, why, how a person catches fish to decide when and where to fish the next time they go fishing. I got bored one Saturday and built a small MS Access database to track my fishing trips. Tracks water temps, where I was fishing, weather, bait, river level, whether the river is rising, falling, fish caught,etc. Cool thing about doing it that way, you can pull the data and get reports, actual numbers, etc without searching through a bunch of paper smeared with shad guts :). Showed me that a lot of the things I thought (like fishing right before a storm) weren't necessarily true when I looked at overall numbers and trends. Anyway, attached is a graph I pulled from the DB that shows numbere of fish and total pounds by month. Since I'm just tracking myself, it's not a great representation of what might be the best way to fish (people are creatures of habit, so since it's just me, the data is skewed totally to the way I fish) but it does give me a good idea of what works for me. Also pretty cool because you can create reports to show which fishing buddy you have the best luck with, what bait works when, how many pounds of fish per hour you've caught over a period of time, whatever you feel like writing queries for. Anyway, just thought somebody might get a kick out of it.

Attached Files:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, let me see if I have this right... your gonna trade a piece of paper with shad guts on it for a monitor with shad guts on it? It is easier to take the notebook than to take the computer. LOL On the serious side, you have done good with your idea... it will work for you and the body of water you fish...you going to make it available to the brothers who may want to try the same thing?

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nah, I wash my hands before I do the data-entry:smile2: I'll send it to anyone who wants it, all you need is MS Access on your PC.

4. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    no,if we keep getting advanced, the fish are goin to get smarter, and be harder to catch

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Now you can't blame it on Robert today Branden cause he was with us LOL
    So I'm thinkin you tore em up today, I know you had to do better than we did, sorry Robert I know it wasn't your fault.......:roll_eyes:

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I might as well have fished in the driveway. We fished everything from some good holes in outside bends to sandbars and couldn't buy a fish. Hope you guys had better luck!

Branden

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    The wind really tore me up on the river 2day.. 1 fish all day... 3 1/2 lbs.