Fishing current?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Jan 30, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering should I be fishing the current for the catfish? I was at the river one time fishing in the current, and I got a good hit the fish shook the rod and hung me up I was using a nightclawers for bait. I am wonder should I have stay in that spot where I got the hit? I moved and did not get another hit like that, that day. I also hear that blues and flatheads like current.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I had a good hit, I would have stayed a little longer. Find places that have current breaks, log jams, rocks , sand bars etc. Fish will hold in these areas to escape from the current.

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    someday you can be lucky, you have to use better bait like livebait as bluegill or cutbait shad for big catfish as flathead and blue. and I also caught 9lbs channel on nightcrawler.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    cj you fish where you wanna fish , but i prefer current , but im also prepaired to fight the fish in that current i use 7' ugly stick and 7000 abu with 30# biggame line

you might want to use the drop rig in current if your not already and use a lighter line on the weight there fore you can brake it off with out fear of losing the fish , usualy what happens is the weight will hang under a big rock or between two big rocks and cause you to lose the fish , most high current areas for instance below a dam wont have many snags except rocks , as far as bait goes use what ever works for you , in my area its shad or skipjack and some times blue gill or brim
    good luck and keep fishing that spot you had a good hit at sooner or later you will catch that fish

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya I have been thinking about getting the Abu 6600, and maybe a MH or H action rod. Hey would my Abu 6000 work? I got it monted on a 7 foot MH Berkely Big Game Rod, spool with 20 lb test.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    it should cj , hook up a 6# leader for the weight and go for it , better you lose a sinker than a fish

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Charles, I know how to use the three way rig, I use it all the time.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I look for less current around heavy current. for example, I fish the Ohio River, I look for scour holes in the main channel and fish the fronts of them where current is less. Or fish a ledge that provides current breaks. I feel as though big blues (and flats) ambush prey here and are almost always in these spots. Look at a contour map. Ledges running perpenticular to the banks are good bets, look for scour holes too, and a really good spot around me is the old dam from the early 1900's. it's main wall is still there and provides a major current break where we catch lots of blues.