Fishing current ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by luckey wade, Feb 21, 2009.

1. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Was wondering why I have a hard time keeping my baits down in current with a texas rig.With a 4oz noroll sinker.I want to fish the rip rap .An the shallow water before the deep hole .Where the water is moving fast

2. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One place i fish on the Hocking has alot of current emptying into a nice hole. The way i fish it is get above the current and cast down into it to the head of the hole. Using a short leader around 12" or so. I'm not sure if the spot you are fishing will allow you to do this but if it does try it. Whether using cut bait or live bait it should stay down for you.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    more lead bro!

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Use 6 or even 8 ounce no-rolls!

5. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    i usually fish fast water from an upstream position and make longer casts as hr suggested.i would add that 12ft surf rods along with some brand of braid will make a big difference.the longer rod will keep twice as much of your line out of the water.that in itself will cut down dramatically on the current drag.i prefer power pro as the 30lb braid is half the diameter of 20 lb big game.
    i dont like no roll in fast current as they take forever to hit bottom as they flutter in the current.bank sinkers sink twice as fast and hold just as good for me.i recently fished the great miami when the water flow was at about 20,000 cfm and never used more than a 5 oz bank sinker.was fishing the middle of the river and the only problem was keeping grass and weeds off my line.
    thats my two cents worth of experience on fast water

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Jo and good info!

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    More lead, I have a rod capable of casting up to 24 ounces of lead...I have used 16 ounces before.

8. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    You are getting good advice here.

I am used to using mainly egg or bank sinkers. So I ain't an expert on no roll sinkers.

But I thought I would still chime in with an opinion. lol.

As stated, the smaller the diameter of your line, the less drag the current will have on your line, and the less weight required to keep your bait down. Conversely, the bigger the diameter of your line, the more weight you will need to keep your bait down.

It seems to me that the value of a no roll might come in to play if you were casting across the current. Like if you were bank fishing.

I don't see the benefit of a no roll if you are fishing downstream from an anchored boat where your line is running the same direction as the current.

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

I agree to a certain extent, the more line you have out is more for the current to pull at, The trick is deffinetly more lead, and the the more vertical your line is with the current the better it will cut through the water, If you are talking about this time of year and is genarally cold water, try to throw into the current above the hole so your bait/weight fall into the hole. This is where the fish are gonna be if your water temps are below the average fifty degrees. if they are above fifty degrees then you would do alright throwing anywhere around the hole. Remember if you find a wintering spot where you catch fish constantly, just keep a couple.... targeting winter holes is almost to productive! if you keep every fish which intern will desimate the local population for the next spawn:wink:

10. goldfish33

goldfish33 New Member

State:
    ohio cincy area
    i confess i cheat:wink:

instead of adding more weight i modify my sinkers alittle.my sinker mold only goes up to 5 oz and the only sizes i pour are 4-5 oz.occasionally i add grappling hooks for obvious reasons but never have i gone over 5oz.
    the water i fish is from the bank on the big miami. positioning with a boat is a whole different approach as it now becomes an anchoring problem instead of a sinker problem.besides i am not putting a johnboat in the river when its at flood stage:crazy:

throwing more lead is not a problem as i have 2 setups for shark fishing in florida and texas.why would i want to catch a channel cat on a shark outfit:confused2: i really like the feel of a 5-6 lb channel in flood conditions as it feels like a shark though:smile2:

seriously though no one setup works in every condition.the ability to know when to holdem and when to foldem and try a different approach is how i try to fish.loosing 10 lb of sinkers in 20,000 cfm water when the water barely does 2000 cfm is no fun in my book.