Fishing Curent River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by kickin_wing, Jun 28, 2006.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Has anyone here ever fished it before? What fish should i be prepared to catch when i go and what kind of bait should i take?

2. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    its a cold water stream, if i were to go id be looking for smallmouth so bass tackle would be the ticket.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Use curly tail grubs on a 1/8 oz lead head and you'll probably catch all kinds of smallies. Try colors that look like crawdads, as that's their main diet.

I'll be down there in August for a float trip with the family - hoping to do some fishing also.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ok thanks guys ive never realy went smallmouth fishing before but i think i have the things you need to do it.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    There is a little crankbait that looks like a crawdad. We always did well there, and in the big and little Piney rivers with the brown and orange, not so much with the brown and green. The smaller crankbait outdid the larger one too. Caught a lot of Goggle eye too. I wish I could take the time off, my wife will be in Bunker witht he kids July 7th thru ?? How's the fishin been up at bagnall dam?

6. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    yeah, crawdad colors would be the way to go for the smallies, and loanwizard i havent heard anything good from bagnell dam recently.
    mostly buted lower units an no fish to speak of. if you ever plan on going down there, id say take the extra hour or so up to warsaw, and fish the truman tailrace, much better fishing up there.also the boat traffic on the lake up there is tolerable, and you can be on truman lake in a matter of minutes, so theres alot more places to go. ive been saying that quite a bit lately so maybe town of warsaw will kick me down a few dimes for advertisement!!! lol

7. ace.clarke

ace.clarke New Member

State:
    Warrenton, MO
    I went to school in Rolla and spent many hours on the ozark rivers. Some of the best fishing you can have is to get a big seine net to help catch live bait. It takes two people to operate but you can catch the creek minnows hundreds at a time if you isolate on shallow parts and round them together towards a bank.

We made little plastic containers with holes in them that we kept bait in.Make sure you check the regulations for the stretch of water you will be in to make sure live bait is allowed and be careful to throw any baby smallies, or the rare, colorful looking minnows back.

The technique is simple... a small sturdy hook with a minnow and a tall pencil type bobber that is adjusted to float the minnow right off the bottom (depends on the hole you are fishing).

We would put a minnow on and flip it to the upstream side of any deep, swift moving current, doesn't really matter how big it is... We floated it by multiple times and pulled out so many trout, smallies, and goggle eye it was unreal... we had fished with artificial crawdad lures, and this blew the doors off of that.

Let me know how it goes if you try it.. I am trying to get down there again soon...

8. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Hey, I think I've tried that method before?? Actually, you look like the guy who was on the other end of the seine :big_smile: Good to see you over here.

He's right, as with anywhere the live bait is best, and those minnows tear it up. If you can't do that, I'd go with the crankbait, or a soft plastic craw or double tail grub on a jig bounced off the bottom. I've done much better on bottom bouncing than just pulling a curly tail grub.

Depending on your area, you'll see trout, smallies, and goggleyes. From Montauk to Cedar Grove is artificial and flies only (no soft plastics) and mostly trout. From Cedar Grove down you'll pick up more smallies with trout numbers still good, and all baits are allowed.

Good luck and have fun . . . and I hope to get down there soon too!

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I always liked to use 4-6 pound test line with 1/16 oz lead heads. You can either thread a crawdad onto it. Or buy the soft plastic ones that are around 4 inches. Small crank baits that are crawdad color work best in the 1/8 oz size. I always did better around under cut banks with fast moving water going by them or in the ripples above a hole. It don't really take that deep of water to hold fish.