Fishing Creek Resevoir Blues

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by DamonG, Jul 6, 2009.

1. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was wondering if anyone knew if Fishing Creek had blues in it or if there were just channels and bull heads. I have bass fished it dozens of times but have never catfished there.

2. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    yes it does have blues only fished for cats there once but we caught a few blues and a bunch of channels with some time on the water i think you can find some good ones the ones we got were 3or 4 lbs

3. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Damon, I don't think you're allowed to put a boat in there anymore, but I used to live in that trailer across the bridge for eight years. That is a honey hole. If you can go down to the first island on the right, about 30 feet from the end of island and 30 feet out and anchor down, fish toward the old duck blind, and you'll tear those bad boys up. Use small pieces of cut bait.

We were catching monster blues there before we were catching them in Wateree Lake. There are flat heads in there, too. The biggest one that I can remember was a 32 pounder - a guy caught it off of the little wing dam, on the bend before you get to the big rock.

The old railroad bed is now a road, and it goes right down beside it. It follows the water. That would probably be the best access. From the wing dam back to the dam, you have to rig up with a cork, because it's so rocky, and fish it like stripper fishing. And there are stripper in there - few and far between, but they're big.

On the other side of the river, where my trailer was, I used to have a ball about an hour before dark floating crickets in about two feet deep with ultra light tackle, catching big channels.

I wish I could get back in there in a boat. That is my favorite catfish hole!! I had a big Rottweiler guarding it for me at one time. :smile2:

If you go in there, good luck. And let me know how it goes.

Oh, by the way, the creek mouth that looks so good? Never had any luck there.

4. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Damon, are you referring to the Fishing Creek located in Fort Lawn, SC? If so, yes there are Blues in that water. I live less then 15 minutes from it and fish it regularly. There are a few public access ramps available. Great Bass fishing lake

5. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    GatorT, what bridge are you referring to? the one you cross when going to the Catawba Fish Camp? or am I way off? You can see that island you are referring to when crossing the bridge correct?

6. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yes I am talking about the one in Fort Lawn. The one that number 9 crosses. I live about 8 min from it and have fished it a bunch for bass but never for catfish. I was out there bass fishing one day and was watching my depth finder and was marking some good fish on the bottom, so it got me thinking about the catfish in there. If there are some good catfish in there I think I might have to try it out soon and see what happens.

7. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sweet, where do you live? I live in Lancaster. You can get some good bites for Bass on the old Springs Park side against that brick wall:wink:

The catfishing is better in the river channel up lake towards the bridge. Best to put in under the bridge on #9

8. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I live on off of hwy 99 going to Great Falls.

9. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Damon, I'm sorry man. I don't know what I was thinking. I read it plain as day - "Fishing Creek" but my mind went "Natralee." (or how ever it's spelled) Below Fishing Creek dam. So nothing that I've told you is anything you can use. But there are blues in Fishing Creek. And flat-heads. I've never seen any flat-heads of any size caught out of there, but I've seen some smaller ones come out of traps. Out of the upper end next to the rocks.

Sorry for trying to steer you wrong.

Jeremy - I was talking about the Hwy 200 bridge, right at the dam going over Natralee - not Fishing Creek. I lived in that trailer on the Lancaster side for about 8 years.

But if y'all can get into Natralee, take some of the advice I gave in my fist post. It'll almost be worth getting a ticket for. :wink:

10. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks GatorT, I will keep that in mind. George and I will have to give Fishing Creek a try some time soon. If there are blues and flatheads in there I want to give it a try. I don't think it is that pressured by catfishermen so you never know, we might pull some good ones out of there.

11. ppettit

ppettit New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's funny, i was just logging on today to see if i could find some info on Fishing creek for cats. I did catch one up cane creek bass fishing on a carolina rigged worm.. it was probably 10 pounds. I'll probably give them a try down there this weekend.

12. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Cane Creek has a deep channel running through it, probably has good cat fishing in that area, if you go left at the fork (going into Cane Creek) that will take you to #9 bridge, the cat fishing from my experience is better in the actual river up towards the island you can see crossing #9 bridge. When the current is good the bite is, when it stops so does the bite.

You can put in right under the bridge on #9 right before the Catawba Fish Camp. If you haven't (who hasn't if your a local), stop in there for dinner, really good seafood.

13. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    there are blues there i have caught alot of small blues there and a few around 15lbs I talked to a game warden a while back he was at the landing on 21 checking boats coming out he told me that a guy had a 44lbs flathead in the floor of his jon boat a few days before that

14. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Hey guys just a heads up on #9 landing,,be sure to lock you stuff up, that place use to be notorious for break ins.I havent heard about any lately,which is a good thing.Ive got two family members and a neighbor that has been broken into while fishing/parked at #9.Ive caught several channels on crankbaits there and my bud caught about a 5 lb blue.Be carefull if you go much farther up river than the island you can see from the bridge,,thats about where the first set of shoals start.

15. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That 44lb Flathead may be the biggest I've heard come out of there. most I have caught have been 5-12lbs.

Dudley, thanks for mentioning that, I have heard that to about the break-ins. I have been lucky so far.

I heard of a few break-ins at the Bethel landing also, but that was before that housing development started.

16. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We put in at #9 access Saturday morning (July 11th) and fished the channel up towards the island. caught 9 cats ranging in size for 2-6lbs. using shrimp as bait.