Fishing Clinton Lake Hot Water Discharge

Discussion in 'Outdoor Articles' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    Fishing the Clinton lake hot water discharge.

There’s nothing more exciting than pre-spawn action at Clinton Lake. Getting out on the water in the spring is the best source of relaxation for fishermen.

[​IMG]

I get to the cable that stretches across the mouth of the discharge plume that keeps boats out, but not bait. Then decide which side I want to fish. In the mouth or out into the lake. This determines which way I point my rod holders. I attach a short rope with a ring and hook to the front rail and around the cable and to the rear I toss the anchor over and pull the boat tight to the cable and tie off. The shad are abundant close to the hot water and I toss my net close to the bank and get stocked on bait.

The catfish hit great on shad in this particular lake and that’s what I stick to 100%. I cut shad into 3 sections. Head with a 1/4" of the gut pocket then at the tail section where the guts just end. I use the first two and toss the tail into the water as chum to get them going.

[​IMG]

Then I attach the bait to my hook. For channel fishing in this lake a 5/0 to 6/0 hook works great. I use Gamakatzu or Mustad wide gap circle for my fishing. I use primarily a Carolina rig with a 3-4 oz sinker depending on the swiftness of the current.

[​IMG]

I cast (in this case) up into the mouth of the discharge close to the banks. This is where they are coming into the current to spawn. I use 8" glow sticks attached to the tip of my rod for easy bite detection. Although most bites are hard and the rod drops like a wet willow limb. It also requires anglers that are fond of their rods to use a rod holder or almost assured to loose one if not. It also requires a good outfit. I have seen many an angler with ill prepared or inferior equipment loose fish or break tackle.

I use Ambassadeaur series reels for the most part strung with Stren High Impact mono in the 15 to 25lb range. For rods I have an assortment of catfish ugly sticks and American premier rods. They hold up to the task well.

A net is almost a must. Fish in this warm water fight hard and a 7lb fish feels like a monster flathead. I have seen many fish get off when tried to be lifted in with the line its self. I have a beckmen net that is a hook proof one. The net is made of a special material the keep hooks from penetrating into the line, thus causing lost time and hassle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A fisherman can have loads of fun fishing discharges like this one though all are not created equal. In this outing I was scouting for a mess of fish for my annual fish fry. The night went well. I boated 36 fish and brought 24 home for the fry. What a night.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.