Fishing Chochtawatchee Bay- NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by SkiMax, Mar 6, 2008.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I am going on a family vacation to the Destin Area in 2 weeks. Me and my dad are pulling our 18 foot boat. We know we can't go on the ocean, but wanna fish the bay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would also love to do some surf fishing, so any tips on that would be great. I have large spinning reels and 8-12 foot rods for catfishing, so I just need advice on what bait, how to get (i'm taking my cast net) and all that good stuff.

Thanks in advance to anybody who throws their 2 cents in, reps coming your way!

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Fantistic fishing all around that area. An 18 footer can get you into great fishing as long as you "fish smart" check the weather and also make friends wityh a local bait shop. Reds, Flounder, Trout and many other types will be biting !!!!!!!!

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    thanks for the info! how do I fish for these guys? cast artificials or livebait on bottom or what? once again, thanks for the input!

4. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Not familiar with their area ,but a couple of things work no matter where you are. Most important is knowing conditions around you. ie: weather-tides-wind.
    Most condo's have wi-fi hotspots for a laptop.
    http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/WINDcast.aspx?location=USFL0479

http://www.legislative.noaa.gov/NIYS0107/noaainyourstate.html

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/index.html
    Check conditions-check conditions-check conditions!!
    The wind often is the worst enemy in early spring. It can turn flat conditions to very rough in a matter of minutes.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    First off, make sure your wheel bearings are in good shape. don't forget your spare needs to be aired up also.

Now, as for how to fish; A Carolina rig works good for flounder, with live bait.
    You can catch all you need with the cast net, shrimp or fingerling mullet.

Free lining both those baits on light tackle also works well for trout or redfish
    Find out from the locals what lures are producing. You don't need any tackle bigger than what you would fish for bass with.

Floating live shrimp or mullet under a bobber works well also.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    First off, make sure your wheel bearings are in good shape. don't forget your spare needs to be aired up also.

Now, as for how to fish; A Carolina rig works good for flounder, with live bait.
    You can catch all you need with the cast net, shrimp or fingerling mullet.

Free lining both those baits on light tackle also works well for trout or redfish
    Find out from the locals what lures are producing. You don't need any tackle bigger than what you would fish for bass with.

Floating live shrimp or mullet under a bobber works well also.

If you don't have a galvanized trailer, you need to take your rig to a car wash when your done fishing, each day.

7. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Bobpaul has excellent advice. With a long road trip you can carry a hub/bearing setup on the trailer spare tire bracket. Expect an active county water patrol along with the Coast Guard around ICWW- So check safety equipment like Flares/PFD's/throws and have regristration papers.