FISHING CATS WITH JIGHEADS

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by lazer20, Sep 21, 2009.

1. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    I have used this method alot throughout the years and just thought i would share it with anyone who hasnt tried it. If im not getting much luck on bottom or on floats I'll usually rig a few poles with a 1/2oz jig head. I will bait up with crayfish, or other baitfish. I found this rig works really well on sandy bottom flats and rip/rap where the fish are being active (usually channels). I'll usually cast out over the area and every 2-3 mins reel in about 2feet and let it set (do this until my line is back at the bank). I like this method becouse I believe it gives the bait a little more natural appearance when moving around the bottom. I've caught many on the retrieval as well as on the drift. For me the crayfish are a killer along the rip/rap, and shallow flats.

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    that works here at the damn in the turbune boils all the time or as they cakk it here bottom bounceing

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Works great when saugeye fishing. There usually always a cat hitting the jigs too.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There was a big article on this in the 2009 Catfish Insider issue..I highly recommend this technique..It is working for me..I've been using a 1 oz jig with a creek chub on it..

5. festus

festus New Member

Another method that no one has mentioned yet is floating jig heads. The only drawback is I never saw a floating jighead with anything bigger than a 1/0 hook. Crimp your sinker a foot to 18" above your jighead and bait the jighead with your favorite bait, I'd use either a nightcrawler, crawdad, minnow or cut bait. The floater jighead keeps your bait off the bottom, rocks, or out of weeds.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i never even saw it :sad2: dont even know what the cover looks like :sad2: i was really not impressed with 2008s would of liked to at least fliped through 2009s

7. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I like to use the "stand up" jig head; especially with crawdads. It keeps them from crawling under the cover. Great with cut bait also.