Fishing Cats and Salt Water HELP ME OUT

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by shadman65, Jan 3, 2008.

1. shadman65

shadman65 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I am retired and want to set up a spinning combo that I can use for lake cats and salt water fishing (both from boats). In other words one set up that can be used for both. My salt water fishing rarely lands anything over 30lbs. and most arizona channel cats run in 4 to 8 lbs range.

Any thoughts? THANKS HAVE A GREAT YEAR ON THE WATER!

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thats a tough one you don't want to be undergunned for the saltwater. But then if you plan on catching channels in the range you mentioned you don't want it to be overkill either. If you plan on using it for salwater make sure it has a sealed drag. My choice would be a Shimano Spheros its a proven reel that many surfcasters use. I think you might be better off maybe having two different combos for each use. Just my humble opinion.....lol.....

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC!

I would try a large spinning reel like the Cabelas Salt Striker (Good mid price reel)

If you fish from shore it's hard to beat a 12' Ugly Stick rod. Plenty of length to get you out over the breakers, but sensitive enough for channel cats (although a little overkill)

Good Luck and good fishing!

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I say stick with a rod of your choice in 7' medium heavy action with a Okuma Epixor 30 with braided line. This reel has a baitrunner on it. As far as salt water, I always soaked my reels in a bucket of fresh water for a few minutes after every adventure. Then let them dry out.

5. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    the okuma is a good choice but id go with a 40 or 50 , just in case you get into something big in the salt water, they are very well sealed and a great drag

6. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I fish both fresh and saltwater with the same equipment and buy everything for saltwater and it works fine for cats.Buy your equipment aimed at the type of saltwater fishing you do.Where do you fish saltwater and what do you fish for?Surf,pier or boat?
    Jake

7. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use my Abu Garcia 6000's and 6500's on 7' medium heavy casting rods in fresh and saltwater. Most of the saltwater fishing I do is of the pier or surf and occasionaly in some of the sounds in behind the outer banks of south eastern north carolina. Although I do have a few smaller spinning reels I use to crappie fish with here at home in the yadkin river basin, I will strip off the 6 lb line I use for crappie and spool it up with 15 -20 lb test, depending on the size of the reel, and head to the coast and fish for mullet, spot, bluefish, spanish mackeral, and any thing else that is running up or down the coast in the spring or fall and will bite a plug or jig that is just to light to throw on my baitcasters, but on the piers that will allow two rods per person I still take a heavier rod and put a big chunk of cut bait or shrimp on the bottom in hopes of something a little larger... except for skates and stingrays, they fight like crazy but most of the time you end up losing your rig you caught it on trying to get them on the pier.

8. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    i mainly use saltwater rated spinning reels.

daiwa bg series

penn slammers and SSm series

shimano baitrunners

all work fine.

i like smaller rods on the boat, 6' 6" stout fiberglass blanks like daiwa beefsticks, penn mariners, and shakespeare sturdy sticks. works for me.

for salt i use longer rods, with the same reels.

vaughn

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Good call there on the reel size, I wasnt thinking about jaws hitting, thanks.

10. shadman65

shadman65 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I fish salt water only from boat, somtimes larger charters , sometimes smaller private boats. I am thinking 7' ugly stick with some sort of spinning reel.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have fished Salt and Fresh water all of my life untill I got crippled up lately.I am 62,spent a lifetime fishing and have a mess of gear for both fresh,salt and brackish water.

I have Okuma Coronado CD90 SS gearing Bait Feeder Spinning reels with X-tra spools complete with drags to swap out and around for the fishing that I did and now do crippled up in my hands and otherwise.Blue Gill Bream,1 lb.Catfish to king Mackerel and Cobia,I am set up.Now it is large and is not a ultralight,but it does work fine with 10-30 lb.mono.for me.

The old Brass Bushing Zebco 808 & 888's worked fine and lasted for many years in salt and fresh water fishing.The ultimate simple cheap utility rig for such in my opinion for 10 lb.and under fish.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Welcome to the forums Randy. I know you mentioned spinning reels & I don't know of any that would be good enough for salt water i.e graphite etc. That's mostly because I've never really reshearched them for that kind of duty (salt water). If you would consider a casting reel instead, I would strongly reccomend the Pflueger Contender G50HS. These are graphite salt water trolling reels with large line capacity. I've used these reels for the last two seasons cat fishing & love them..... They hold 430yd of 40lb line & have the best drag system I've ever dealt with. They run around $70.00 which isn't too pricey. As far as rods are concerned, the skies the limit & it all depends on what your willing to spend. I use All Star Classic Offshore 6' Heavy rods for my cat fishing which are designed for salt water. I will say that these rods are a little heavy and I have a hard time noticing cats under 3lbs. But that where my bait clicker comes into play.:wink:

J