Fishing Cart

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, Dec 17, 2005.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Suddawg and I have been wanting fabricate a fishing cart during the off season was thinking about building it out of pvc so that it is lightweight and sturdy, any one built a fishing cart and if so can I see some pictures of your designs.

Thanks

Aaron

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have one that I made from a bike baby trailer. The trailer had a handel to push it already. I added 6 pvc tubes for rod,s and net holder and made a metal ring to hold a five gallon bucket and my ice chest and back pack with gear fits neatly in the space left. The seat belts work great for gear tie downs. It has air tires and almost pushes it self on level ground. It is rated for a hundred pounds, has alumminum frame and plastic shell. I can push it or tow it with my bike. Most of the bank fishing around here requires walking in and with live bait and a ice chest plus gear, you are kind of limited with out some kind carrier. I have some pics but I cant get to them at the moment.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Look at harbor friehgt they have a couple of carts that are low cost and can be made to do what your looking for too. one of them has big bike wheels and tires on it something like 21 inch and narrow so they would be great for going over the rough stuff.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I use a garden cart from wal-mart, Got it for $50. Work's great for me, nothing wrong with it and I've had it for years. I mounted some PVC pipe, pole-holders on the sides of it.

Good luck :)

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I took 3/4" emt and bent the frame for one, assembled it, and cut the floor.
    That's as far as I got.
    By the time I find , size, and can even source the tires I want (tires that run real good on deep beach sand, I would rather just buy an all aluminum all welded rig for 150-200 bucks or so and slightly modify it to the type of fishing I was doing.
    The frame is the simple part, but the axles and good sized all terrain inflatable tires aren't cheap.
    These pictures show how I chose to assemble it using the rod holders and standard conduit straps.
    The bending was simple , easy, and fast for me. It's not hard but you have to have the bender and know how to measure for bends.
    Hope this helps.
    Ideally if I was going to build one simply as I have attempted here I would use 3/4 aluminum rigid conduit in place of the EMT but again , unless you have access to free aluminum rigid, it becomes cost uneffective.

Attached Files:

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i coverted a deer draging out fit. works well

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    gotta go with katmaster jr.
    ive seen some decent garden carts that i would like to convert into a nice cat-cart.
    got a couple friends that look at me like im crazy when ive said i wanted to make a cart or dolly to tote my gear .
    but they dont take but a pole or two and a little tackle box so
    packing that lightly i guess they dont see the need .:rolleyes:

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, mine work's great! It's got big tire's, and it's really sturdy. And it's easy to mount a few PVC pipe polehoders on the side of it. But alot of my poles are so long I cant even put them in the poleholders while I'm fishing because I cant hardly see the tip of them, when there 50 ft up in the air.....LOL :D

9. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Where's the pics of these bad boys??

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    MarkJ, I've seen some nice pneumatic tires at Harbor Freight Tools for only a few dollars each. They should roll pretty good over sand. HFT is a discount tool retailer about the size of a large Dollar store. Any place like that would be likely to carry low-speed tires.

11. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    my fishing cart is not so high tech.

Found a kids red wagon with big tires, holds my cooler, chair tacklebox and bait bucket, plus it's not to heavy to lift, or too big to fit in the back of the station wagon.

12. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    had one of them big red wagons like that with the air tires thing was cool. my neighbor kid loved it he was around 5 or 6 so i gave it to him lol (i inherited it from my fathers estate) he loved that thing a week later his dad sold it for beer dang idiot. it would make a great bank fishermans carrier for sure never thought of that.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I would have been sorely tempted to pour a 6-pack of beer down the father's throat---after I had run it across my kidneys.

14. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    wide and i took both his boys fishing a couple of times then thier dad said no more. didnt like the fact i guess his kids loved fishing.

15. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Do a google search for "pvc kayak cart" You will find a link there for a "how to" on building a cart that could easily be adapted for fishing purposes by adding a basket of some sort. THe slick part is the axle assembly. I can't post a link because the site contains a forum.
    /Scott

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    For about $100, you can get a big garden wagon from Lowe's, maybe Home Depot also. Recently saw one for $47, but don't remember where. Its like the Radio Flyer red wagons we all had as kids or bought our kids, except bigger and is make with heavy wire mesh. The thing is heavy, big steel frame, but has big air filled tires. Also, if you want to spend a lot of bucks, Bass Pro and Gander Mountain sell a light wieght fishing cart with 4 rod holders and big tires. The thing is a beauty, but has a pretty stiff price tag. If you build a pvc cart, make sure you use threaded rod for the axels and go the full width of the cart. Otherwise, your axle will break under a heavy load.

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wagon :)

You mean you guys have not heard of the famous "Mellon Cat Wagon"? Pics to come soon....... (and even better the storyt hat goes along w/ it)

18. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just bought a stanley rollaround tool center for my new tackle box. It has smaller wheels than I really wanted but I think I can make it work. I plan to insulate the bottom to make a small cooler and use the top for tackle. I got it at home depot. I fish from the bank and had to carry everything to where i set up. I am now looking forward to an easier walk to my spot.

19. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Maybe one of the mods can go back to the old site and check this out. If I remember right our ol' buddy Rat made a nice cart and had it posted on the "old" site. Does any remember this?

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    H20 Made a nice cat wagon..Unfortunaly we dont get to use it much..The terain we travel is to rough for a hummer, let alone a wagon! :D