Fishing Camping Dilema

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by corklabus, Feb 18, 2009.

1. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    For years I bank fished every out of the way hole I could find that would hold water. I also have a nice large tent that I truely enjoy making use of.
    The dilema here is that I have yet to find a free access place where you could camp and fish for a few days or a week without being locked in after a certain time of evening or paying a fortune to some State or Federal Park........and even then, you can't be located right on the bank and just fish until you don't want to look another fish in the eye.
    I even bought a boat for better water access and less hassle, but even that doesn't compare to just throwing up a tent and hangin' out for a while.
    While thinking of all this, I DO know of only ONE possible place to do this in my immediate area, but that's pretty well over-run with drunks and druggies, so I'd shy away from that considering my age and being accompanied by a disabled wife. She's not completely disabled, but moves very slow and painfully.
    So where the heck can a person go do something like that these days with all the private property and no tresspassing and legal regulations ?
    I just don't see it being done without costing a fortune or traveling to some other State.
    Next question: what if I could take the boat too ? Now wouldn't THAT be a great trip? :confused2: As an after thought, what about some neet spot only accessable by boat. That'd be awesome.

2. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sleepy Creek Lake in Berkeley County has camping right on the lake. There are bass, crappie, gills, and catfish. If the camping isnt free then its only about 5 bucks for a weekend. You can take a boat but its only electric motors. If you have a gas motor on the boat it has to stay up. I dont think you have to take it off, but I can check the rules if you like. Its a great place to camp and a few trails to hike if you like to do that too. The lake has held the state record bass twice in WV.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    What part of the state ? In the east you have places like spruce knob it isn't cattin I know ! To small for boats . What about some of the lakes? bluestone , stonecoal , stonewall jackson ,sutton or grafton ? I know I am no real help maybe if I knew where you were located.

4. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I know where there's a place at Bluestone but would have to show you where its at. Best thing about it its free. Bring your boat and I'll show you. Also I work for The State Forest and if you wanted to camp there I'll let you use my discount.:wink:

5. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I spent a week at Stonewall year before last. Loved the Lake, but wasn't completly satisfied with the camping, costs and other restrictions.
    I've heard of boat access only at Bluestone and considered it, but it's basically at the limit of my personal travel radius. I've only fished the lake once at night and landed a 12# Bass. I did a boat test there one other time and had also heard that since that big flood a few years back, fishing hadn't been nearly as good. I'm Still considering Bluestone, but I'm really sort of looking for a bit of "isolation".
    I'm NOT opposed to electric only lakes. I got a decent size trolling motor and big powerful deep cycle batteries. Although I'm not familiar with Berkley County at all.
    I've tried most of the "chain" from Stonewall all the way to Summersville. Even though "summersville" is basically the home lake....It flat sucks for fishing.....at least to me anyway. I've ended up hitting New River at Hawksnest most of the time for fishing, but unless you have one of those river bank shacks, camping just ain't happening anymore.
    And now...after all that.... It's still just to dang COLD for the disabled wife to get it in gear yet, so I'm not even untarping the boat just yet. But all ideas are appreciated.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm not too familiar with West Virginia....but heres how we do it in Kane-tuck-eee.

Attached Files:

7. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Daaaannng......Now if I could just slip that off onto the boat when I git there, I wouldn't need no steeenking campsite......:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: