Fishing Camera

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by jolie, Jul 3, 2008.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    ok, unlike most other 'tackle' posts this isn't about asking a question.

I've already made my mind and just bought it. Now a digital camera is normally a pretty pricey purchase with most 'good' units going for around 100$. Well, folks I've come to realize that at that price-

I was not going to CPR this year. I caught my PB 5# channel and reluctantly brought it home for pictures on my wifes 300$ camera. Its insides were not exactly a pretty sight. Alot of fat.

so, the goal was to find an acceptable camera for 20$. They DO have them. they called Keychain cameras, or sometimes are marketed as 3-1 webcams. The idea was to do a big internet search for the best one.

Thats a little hard. They really is no "GOOD" cameras for 20$- how can there be?? so the trick is to figure out what is a little better and to use it. The vivitar vivicam 55 is found in most walmarts has a flash, self-timer and tripod mount.. and since I am 99% SOLO and nighttime angler these features are all good.

so now its limitations and how you compensate for it catfishing.

#1 They is no picture screen and the viewfinder is very small. This might be one of the harder flaws about the camera- what it means is that you might not be sure certain that the picture you took is well framed. Solution take multiple pictures- moving slightly left and right between shots.

#2 Dynamic range. Potentially one of the hardest flaws of the camera is that its exposure is dicey. Specifically at night. If you take a night flash picture, you might be brightly overexposed or dimly dark. If youre two overexposed- they will be a unpleasant halo around you.
    Well night shots are going to be rough. Daylight shots are far nicer, and even indoor shots. Perhaps a porch light might help- (I'll experiment). other than that the effort is to find the perfect distance for a flash shot. a number of test shots suggest 6'.

#3 the camera uses battery power considerably more than better cameras and worst of all. the memory uses power, WITH THE CAMERA off, to save the pictures. Potentially a bruiser this is a matter of planning. IF you leave the batteries in- they are drained in a little more than a day. Take you pictures and download them as soon as you come home. Remove batteries and store separately

#4 Lastly and most obviously resolution is limited. with cameras storing 5-1,000 kilobits. my camera only stores 300,000... But get real! one of my strong desires is to share pictures on the BOC and you can't show off 2.1Mb files here anyway.
    I will end with one last hint. on my first flash photo. I was rather disappointed when I compared it to a daylight shot. What happened? I'll tell you what happened; the camera attempted to solve low light by collecting light for a longer time (shutter speed if you will) and can be blurred by the motion of the photographer or subject.
    if my explanation is wrong. I only know that the problem went away when I put the camera on a steady surface and kept as still as possible.

Now, I wanted to attach photos. But I haven't got them yet. I wanted to describe my researching and initial results before I got them and will attach them later. Perhaps this will inspire some people like me that just didn't feel they could CPR because they wanted some record of a truly fabulous fish; and might be tempted to harvest the fish for the photos- not really for the meat.

Jason

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Now I will ask my two questions-

First do you think the described setup is good enough for a fishoff. I'd really like to do one...

Second, do you think the previous thread plus a few photos and maybe a follow-up or so, would be a worthy article?

Can I even submit it as an article or have a lost my chance since I started a thread?

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Jason in my opinion if you have already bought that camera you've lost out. You can get a little bit better camera for around 50 to 75 dollars if you kept searching. The better the camera the better the pictures. For example a 3.1 mp camera will not take as good a picture as a 7.1 camera will. Why... The 7.1 will gather light faster and also takes sharper images. The more mega pixles per square inch the better picture you will have. You can always resize them later for downloading or whatever.

Your right about the flashes tho. The flashes will not give you a very sharp image on any camera more than 7 to ten ft in very low light conditions Unless you have a good back drop for the flash to bounce off of. When your out in the open like on the lake and have no back drop it is hard to get a good pic unless you are close to the subject. If your having to take the pic yourself then it is virtually impossible to get close enough to the camera to get a good pic and know that you have everything in the frame. If you notice that in my avatar I sat down to get the pic. I did this so there would be more surface area for the flash to bounce off of and get a better picture. I did however have someone with me that took the pic.

The biggest thing is that when you get a camera with low mega pixels then taking good pics at night is harder and adding more light doesn't always help either. Most cameras read the amount of light that you have present and will adjust the amount of flash that it gives you. In other words your pictures will still not come out as well as you would like.

One of the best things you can do is play around with a photo editing program and learn how to use it. When you get a photo that needs some help make a copy of the original and then play with the copy and see if you can make it better and clearer for everyone to see. If you don't have a photo editing program you can find some free ones at download.com.

You were also right about the shutter speed. when there is a lower light available but you don't need a flash the camera will automatically adjust to be able to gain the amount of light it needs to get a good pic. Most cameras will adjust the aperature setting first and then will adjust the shutter speed to make this happen.

I hope that I have not further confused you in any way but have helped.
    If you have any more questions or if I can help in any in other way just pm me and I'll try and do what I can.

Hope this helps.

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I knew someone would say it Kevin.

If I had 50$ I would buy a Fishing Rod and Reel.. (preferably 75$$)...

I would also fish 100 miles away where there are trophy flatheads 3times bigger than the channels I hope to catch. I would stay away from my the tailwater river near my house, where the water is cold enough to support trout all year long and where ITS an absolute fact that the dam has ruined growth rates of a once strong catfish population.

I would have a latern:smile2:, I would have a chair:smile2::smile2:...
    no! I would have a pontoon boat, rather than find somegrubby spot on the bank:smile2::smile2::smile2:

and perhaps the very best of them all; I would invest in a guide that could put me on some REAL fish that dwarf the Pennsylvania trophies of around 40# flatties.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

... and then I would wake up and remember all my bills:tounge_out:

The trick then is to find something that could take a good enough pictures so you knew it was a catfish not a burlap bag; and POSSIBLY could be enough to enter the next 2008 fishoff.

Just so its said Early in this thread. If you an afford an 50-80$ don't be silly. there are some real difficulties using a 20$ d.camera.

The other reason I write is I did a lot of internet searching and found almost nothing about buying a camera for fishing...

Do you all you'guys just use the good stuff. Have you no fear? I had my entire tackle box stolen from me, when I had my back turned helping some of my BOY Scouts out. (which I think was really LOW btw:angry:).

catfishin' is messy espacially for those of us that are bank bound. I've been through lots of mud and rain storms.

Point is between mud/theft/and all the other expensive neccesities There's good reason to be cheap with the camera- ESPACIALLY if you're just going to get rid of most of the resolution to put it on the BOC anyway.

Photo editing programs are important and all good. I've got one I like. There is only so much that can be done. what the picture didn't record can't be found with any photoshop software, no matter how nice.

Thankx for the reply kevin.
    ================================================
    The more interested you become in fishing; the longer it takes to catch a fish...And I'm in Deep!! its now become near torture to catch anything!
    Jason

5. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    You have alot of good points Jason and I feel your pain.:eek:oooh:

I do have a pretty nice camera but I usually keep it hidden and locked in the truck. I'm usually lucky enough to be able to have my truck close by so I can retrieve it in a hurry. But the camera is probably my most expensive piece of equipement.

I do have a boat but it is a beat up 14ft jon that I only have a trolling motor on and it leaks. I keep patchin but it doesn't seem to last long and starts leaking again so I don't carry my camera on the boat. But if I did I would carry it in a ziplok bag possibly two doubled to make sure.

I was hoping to be able to buy myself a nice boat next year but bills, gas prices and circumstances beyond my control have probably knocked that out of my reach for at least one more year.

I was not trying to discredit you on what you are trying to do. You can only do as much as you can with what you can or what you can afford. I was just simply stating, in a drawn out sort of way, that you get what you pay for. I know that and have been in your shoes many times before and for the most part still am. I have worked with cameras for many years through school, work, and play. I am just a hobbiest now but have worked for a photographer and was the campus photographer for the college that I attended. I was just trying to give you the best options to take to be able to get the best photos possible for you to be able to share with everyone.

So the biggest tip I can give you is that when you need to get a pic at night with a small camera try to make sure you have a backdrop close also so that you will get more flash bounce thus resulting in a better and clearer picture, and also don't get further away from the camera than about 7 to ten feet.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It sounds like that 20$ camera is not even as good as a decent camera phone these days. So I pose this question to you two. Why lock a camera up in the truck. Why keep the good camera at home? Why not have a camera that fits in your pocket and at the same time is a real nice camera you can use at family functions? I by all means don't know much about a camera. What I do know is what I will put the camera through and what I expect out of the camera. My camera is a pentax optio wpi 6.0 mp. It allows underwater photography. It has a JIS class 5 dustproof rating and a class 8 waterproof rating. When it gets dirty I just place it in the sink.

7. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    That's nice josh but as previously stated the discussion was on what you can afford. At the time I bought my camera I was interested in a camera for taking wildlife pics and sports pics. I purchased a camera that was sufficient for those applications at the time. Now that I am interested in takeing pics of the cats I catch to post here on the BOC I am not at a position to change or buy a second camera.

The small lake I fish on allows me to park near where I fish so I don't have to carry the camera along with all of my other gear, to the shore line where I fish but, is close enough that I can retrieve it in a moments notice and get the pic I want and return the fish back to the water in no time at all. I know that is not a luxery that most have but I do.

I know that everyone is further stressed with expenses this year due to the gas prices and the gas prices causing everything else to go up in cost also. So the burden and expense of buying an expensive camera is one that most will not and cannot afford to buy just to post pics of their catch here on the BOC. Of course it would be nice if everyone could but being relistic we know that most cannot. The first post was stating Jolie was stating that he bought a 20 dollar camera. At that point I knew that he didn't have much money to spend on a camera for the application of posting fishing pics and I suggested that he spend just a little more money and get a little bit better camera and he called me down on that explaining again the expense and money situations that alot of us are in. I'm sure everyone is feeling a pinch in their pocket books this year and he is not alone.

I'm glad that you were fortunate enough to buy a camera with the features you wanted and that you are happy with your choice. Good luck fishing and hope to see some good pics from you in the future.

8. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    If it had been me I prolly would have looked into buying a used camera. A decent used digital camera would probably not be to hard to find the way that technology improves so fast.

9. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Good point Ed. Probably could have found one even on e-bay.

But even then most of the good used ones would have cost more than the twenty dollars that Jolie spent on the one he got.

I think for now Jolie has done the best that he can and later in the future he can possibly invest in a better camera when time and opportunity submits.

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    It may have taken a little while but you can normally find some good prices on ebay if you are willing to wait a while.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I know I got that. I also can read where he has a 300$ camera. Now if you can eliminate spending money on a 2nd item of the same thing. You are saving money are you not? Buying one good thing that can do multiple of jobs?

12. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hear you on buying with in your budget. The good news is I've had three Kodak digitals under $100 over the past 5-6 years. The bad news is they usually get so beat up from riding in a motorcycle, boats and in a work truck they can only take about 1-2 years. I think moisture is probably the biggest culprit. The better news is they getter better each time I buy a newer one.

If I could blow $500 on one I'd still go for an around $100 because it does way more than I need and I'll probably destroy it in a few years. But I have a ton of fishing, biking boating, family and general fun photos because I'm not afraid to throw it in a saddle bag or pocket. I wouldn't have those if I had a $500 camera to worry about. Plus I'm too technically challenged to appreciate the extra features a higher priced model. I bought a Canon for about $125 for one of my sons for x-mas. It also shoots videos with sound too.

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    perhaps spending $20 on a nice watertight box or case for the $300 camera would be a solution.

I drag around a rather pricey digital SLR with Me fishing. to date nothing bad has ever happened to it, of course I take the proper precautions with it. Seeings how I CPR all my big fish getting a good picture is very important to me.

14. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Apparently none of us are getting the real picture here :eek:oooh:

This young man has done all he can for what he had to spend. I did the same thing on my first post in here and aftre I got his reply I realized that he has done all he can for the time being.

I'm sure that when he has the ample means then he will upgrade and take all our suggestions into consideration.

Thank you all for your ideas and input in this matter.

15. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    ok, first of all- my wife would K-I-L-L me If I took the 300$ camera fishing. obviously a nice camera that doubles as the family camera and does double duty fishing is a nice solution.

Second of all, Even 100$ is TOO much... I don't have a capable rod and reel, and anything above 10# will probably NOT be reeled in. Catching a trophy is still more important that photographing; and even If I had no camera; I would probably not keep a 20# channel. just too rare and special (and probably too polluted):tounge_out:

I deliberately started this thread as a " I bought a ..." cuz I did figure that most of y'all avid regular BOCers have bought nice cameras.
    But still, obliquely This thread is some wishful thinking that for POSTING on the BOC and recording a nice memory of a big fish, that a cheap camera COULD do it...
    Come on guys' think about it; the lack of resolution is the most fundemental difference AND you all HAVE to get rid of most of the resolution to put it on the internet! Simply put ; it has promise; enclosed is a few portraits of my darling children. Bright sunlight is NOT as challenging (dynamic range, etc) as flash But these are nice.

AFTer a bit, I intend to show off some pictures perhaps showing some flaws and illustrating that a careful photo might be good enough to show off a the BOC.

... So , in short; don't judge my approach quite yet until you see some photos!! I wished I had them, but photographic fish haven't decided to bite quite yet.

Attached Files: