Fishing buddy

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by KWSMITH, Jun 23, 2006.

1. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hello everyone,
    Im new to catfishing in the Newport News/Hampton area and I was wondering if someone in the area would be willing to show me the ropes.
    V/R KW

2. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

I'm not real sure about the catfishing prospects around Hampton. I'm sure you can load up on croakers there, but I think your gonna have to come upriver a ways for the cats. The catfishing gets good at around Claremont and better as you get up towards Hopewell and Richmond. It's pretty much year round fishing for them here. Big baits- shad,live eels, bluegills, and perch. 8/0 & 9/0 hooks. Heavy rods and reels and heavy line. There is a consumption advisory for eating catfish from the James, so I wouldn't recommend frying any up. Strictly a catch and release thing for most of us.

3. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thank you very much I didnt realize how close Hopewell was to Yorktown. Can you fish from the bank in that area during the evening hours???

4. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    ever in the Farmville area - let me know. You can fish the local resevoirs w/me!

5. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thank you Sandy.

6. (GutMaster)

(GutMaster) New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    A good place to bank fish & you can keep your catch to fry. Try the Chickahominy river. There you can use L-Y gut's livers, cut bait works well to. Them Kat's taste good to :0a23:

7. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good deal Mike,
    Some friends of mine are going up there this weekend will have to give it a try.