Fishing Buddies

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Capt. Darryl Smith, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Capt. Darryl Smith

Capt. Darryl Smith New Member

State:
    SC
    You know to have someone or your little buddies to go fishing with means more than you realize until you loose them. Because I am s Serious full time guide I spend a lot of time away from home and loved ones. So when I do get to go home it means more to me. I truly understand the phrase “ There is no place like home” more.
    Over the years I have lost 2 of my best friends who I hunted and fished the world with. Donald Faris and Michael Speares who both lost their lives tragically. I miss them both so, but I do remember all the good times we had together.
    After the last one I just settle into my life with a big hole inside and just did my work as hard as I could go to fill the void inside. That is why I am as good as the all say I am. Personally I think I am blessed at my life. For I feel as I am walking in mist of legends and Giants.
    These two men where great compassionate people who lived and loved the outdoors with their hearts as I do. I have a lot of memories of them and the things we did together. So I hold my head high and Honored to have known them.
    Well I just lost another piece of my heart yesterday. My little dog more so known as My Little Buddy of 13 years past away yesterday. His name was Bart. A 15 lb Pomeranian who owned my heart. It has shattered my heart for his passing. Always when I would get to come home he was always there first to greet me whole heartedly. He never would let me out of his site. He has been from Wyoming elk hunting with me to our beaches playing in the sand.
    He loved going fishing. When I would fish in my pond he was as a kid at Christmas. As I would catch fish he would play with them and then carry them to the house one by one. He never meet a stranger weather they where man nor beast. His heart was as big as the world and loved everyone and everything he came in contacted with.
    Every night I was home he made sure he come get on the bed and give me a kiss on my nose. After I gave him a treat he would walk around me in the bed as if he was tucking me in then lay down on top of me to keep me safe. If he got cold in the night he would come lay beside my head on his pillow or get under the covers beside me.
    As I went to bed last night I was in tears, for all was larger than me!

Lovingly missing you all.
    Darryl

Attached Files:

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thoughts are with you Darryl. I lost my buddie i yr ago 2/4/2008. Coming up on 1 yr and I still miss him.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Sorry for your loss Darryl. I know how ya feel. We can really get attached to our pets to where they are so much a part of our family.

I have a dog and she is getting up in years. It will really break my heart when her time comes. She is the best dog I have ever had.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Awww Darryl, I'm so sorry to hear about Bart. :sad2:

You hang in there bro.

5. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I feel your pain Darryl and know what you mean about getting attached to pets. I raise parrots and couldnt imagine not having one around. About a year ago , my wife brought home a little puppy called a Papillon....he was so tiny. Well after raising foxhounds and deer dogs all my life, the last thing I wanted was a little lap dog around the house. Boy did that change....that little fellow grew on me real quick and now goes everywhere I go.I hate to even think about something ever happening to him because Ive gotten so attached to the little fellow. Unlike the parrots with 60 to 100 year lifespans....hell, I know they will outlive me...but the little man, Spike, I worry about !! Weighs in at 4.1 lbs but thinks he weighs a 100!! Not a mean bone in his body and will lick you to death. Named him Spike....you should hear the parrots call him. Roscoe, one of my African Greys calls him Spike Man. The parrots require a lot of attention, especially the macaws but they are all a big part of the family. My brothers and buddies like to come over and have a few beers cause you never know what is gonna come out of their mouths...but you can bet they will have you in tears laughing.....got one that will even say " take er down big blue"

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The loss of a loved one or pet can be devastating. We just have to dig in and keep on keeping on. Your compassion is a good thing, Daryll.

Bill in SC

7. lee

lee Well-Known Member

State:
    missouri
    MY WORDS CAN NOT CONTAIN MY REGRET OF YOUR LOSS...
    MAY THIS YEAR BLESS YOU FOR YOUR LOSS.
    LEE:embarassed:

8. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope to one day have a heart as big as yours.

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sorry about the loss of your pet. That is always tough. You can get more attached to them than some people. Sorry again.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've lost more great dogs than I care to count . I often wished our 4 -legged friends lived so much longer, it just isn't fair that they have to leave us so soon.......!!

I hope you get to feeling better soon
    -Jim-

-Jim-

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I read an e-mail the other day that told the story of a family dog that was sick and had to be put down. The family debated about letting their then 6 year old witness the event. After much thought the parents decided that he should be there since it was a family dog. The Veterinarian came to their home and they all gathered around the dog, as he drifted off to sleep the parents wondered how their son could handle it so calmly. When the Vet asked him what he thought he said he understood why dogs live shorter lives. "Why is that son" said the vet. Well, "people are born and they have to live a long life because it takes time to learn to love someone so deep and be so gentle and caring". "Dogs are born that way so they don't need to live so long".
    We should all be more loving and gentle towards each other.:wink: We would enjoy life more and not ever have regrets.

12. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    AMEN!

13. Mrs. Sunbird

Mrs. Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run, SC.
    Ditto to Sunbird! :wink:

Darryl I am sorry you lost your buddy, hope you find comfort in the fond memories you have made with your pooch.

14. Gaffney Catman

Gaffney Catman New Member

State:
    south carolina
  15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Darryl, I don't know what to say except, I'm so sorry. Unfortunately, I know something about loss, too, so I know you'll be OK. You obviously have a big heart, and I know it will heal. Take care.