fishing broad river

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by andrew492, Feb 16, 2008.

1. andrew492

andrew492 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What would be a good choice for bait fishing the broad river?:confused2:

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Kind depends on which area of Broad River you're fishing really. Up here where it runs into SC its mainly channel cats and bullheads so your bait doesn't have to be big really to catch anything. Between Cherokee Falls Dam and Ninty-nine Island Dam I use small bluegill, large minnows and nightcrawlers to catch channel cats.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Drew and Jason.

The deeper holes hold some good fish but they're hard to get to in some areas. I've caught a few and just a few ok cats above Gaston Shoals Dam(Dravo Dam).

4. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    How far can you go up river between the Cerokee Falls Dm and the Dravo Dam? I stumbled across that access Saturday but didn't have time to put in and check it out.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I used to fish the very bottom of the river down around Columbia and did well with cut shad, especially the heads and mid "gut" sections of smaller shad.

A little ways up where the river flows shallower around a lot of rocks I have seen some folks do real well with hellgramites.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC

Honestly I think it would be better to fish between Cherokee Fall and Dravo by canoe or kayak. They are some deep water between the two but its rather rocky on both sides. You could fish from Cherokee Fall upstream if you put in at Cherokee Falls with a jon boat but you wouldn't be able to go very far. Same trouble with Dravo, you could get a jonboat in but the rocks would be rough until you were downstream a little ways. But before you come to the access point at Cherokee Ford it would be way to rocky for a jonboat.

7. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    So if I put in at cherokee falls and go up river I've got what, a mile? 3 miles? thanks

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    It might be a mile but that would be about it. If you put in at Cherokee Falls and stay on the Blacksburg side you should make it a little ways because that side appears to be deeper.

9. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    thanks man. I'm always scouting places to duck hunt.

10. wildcatman

wildcatman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    went fishing this morning, caught six fish from three to nine pounds, used chicken livers about five feet of water, from bank, real windy! still had fun new to sight!!

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    David, welcome to the site. I know you will like it here with all the great people. Just jump in and make yourself at home. :big_smile:

12. Chalk

Chalk Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Drew try using a cricket stuffed inside a fruit loop !!!:eek:oooh:

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC.