Fishing Boats

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by mark29860, Jul 12, 2009.

1. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    After a weekend of fishing Santee I've finally realized a pontoon boat is the way to go, especially if your like me and usually fish out of a 16 ft. jon boat.

2. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Ya I agree with you on that one . I just purchased my first pontoon about 3 1/2 weeks ago and I love it for lots of reasons . I used to have a 21' center console Sea mark ,it was nice . But you cant beet the room on my 21' pontoon . It's very fisher friendly , and you can go through the shallow waters too . I wouldn't trade my pontoon for anything , it's a catters dream . :wink::smile2:

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've been fishing out of a 15' jon on Lake Marion so I'd say a pontoon would be a lot better. I love my little boat but when the wind starts you need something bigger down there.

4. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've got to say that if you're fishing for catfish in lake marion a pontoon is hard to beat. There's just no such thing as the perfect boat. I spend 90% of my time in the upper end of Lake Marion or runiing the Congaree and Wateree. I currently run a 20' CC Jon and I love it. It's not nearly as comfortable as my pontoon but it's much more manueverable when I want to drop the trolling motor and do a little bass or bream fishing. It's great in the river but will beat you to death in rough water. I also have access to a 15' John boat for smaller waters and getting into really tight spots and a 12' Riverhawk for just hitting the pond. Every boat has it's place and none are right for every situation, even if you spend most of your time within 20 minutes of Santee but if I had to choose one all purpose boat as a fisherman it's hard to beat a 19'-21' CC.:wink:

5. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    i have a 1610 fisher 54in wide at bottom stick steering. i love this boat but i to was thinking about selling and buying a potonn boat. i am looking to rent one or go out with someone first. they sure look like the cats meow!

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Every boat has it's place and none are right for every situation,>

That's why you need a boat for each situation! :wink: A pontoon is next on my list. Between my J-16 Carolina Skiff, my 20 foot Big Red Blunt, and a pontoon, I'll have all bases covered! :smile2:

Bill in SC

7. Capt. JT

Capt. JT New Member

State:
    Holden Beach NC

j-16! have had mine for ten years now, best boat I've ever owned.