Fishing Blue catfish in Lakes?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by crazychuy, May 14, 2006.

1. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Here in California we have a few lakes that harbor some massive size Blues. I mean a 75 pounder is a baby.

What kind of structure should I look to fish for these monsters at what time of year? What baits would you recommend?

Thanks,

CHUY

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Blue's in lakes are all about shad location. During colder months the shad go deeper and so do the blues. In warmer months the shad go shallower and so do the blues.

Our latest blues were in 12-24 foot of water. Once the thermacline developes(if your lake gets one) you will find blues right above the thermacline starting in the next few months.

As for structure im sure it can help, but 90% of my fishing is in open water with little to no structure and there are plenty of blues.

4. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Thanks for the advice and articles they were really helpful.

CHUY

5. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Man, Ive been fishing for catfish for about 15 years and my personal best is a 75lber. I guess I need to try harder..

6. deerdust

deerdust New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sheesh Louise.. guess I need to come fish Ca. waters. lol

7. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I dont know anything about blue cats but that I sure wish there were some close to me lol love to catch one someday.

8. dec1979

dec1979 New Member

State:
    colorado
    Thank you for all this helpful advise. I just bought circle hooks and cannot wait to try them out.

9. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Swordsman is right. Fish the thermocline in lakes. I have good luck in open water and structure to.

10. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i dont know the lake ur fishin,but i would try to cast as far as i can using a float and a peice of cut bream, bluegill,shad,ect. and reel in about every 10-15 mins,this way you will cover more ground.

hope this helps:big_smile: