Fishing between smithland and Dam 50 on the OHIO River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by KY King Kat, Aug 15, 2008.

1. KY King Kat

KY King Kat New Member

State:
    KY
    I dont expect many people to be familiar with this area of the ohio, but I live in marion and I am goin fishin this weekend. I dont get to fish as much as I like, usually because I am weighin in other peoples fish at tournaments for Cabela's.
    I get good info from the guys though... I have catfished all my life but not so much on the ohio. Very familier with the river, but I usually was just playin /camping on islands with friends.
    I ran out of gas the last time I was out and had to float 10 miles down river (luckly I went up river to start):eek:oooh:
    But as I floated along at 3mph I found at least 15 holes that were holding fish and looked to be just what you look for when catfishing.
    I caught some skip jack about a month ago and I am going to see what I can find.
    Some bank fisherman caught a 49lb blue in 5ft of water this past week at dam 50 on hotdogs.
    I will let you guys know how it goes, and if it goes good I will have some gps points for sale for the big dance in Sept:smile2:If anyone has any advice or reports I am all ears!
    If the weather cooperates maybe we can wet a line, lets go fishing!

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Good luck to you Tanner! Hope to see some pictures of the big cats you caught.

3. KY King Kat

KY King Kat New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks Doug, I just hope I dont get skunked

4. KY King Kat

KY King Kat New Member

State:
    KY
    Well, we had a 15lb + asian carp jump in the boat and hit my friend in the side. :smile2:So the trip wasnt a total loss. We did manage to catch 1 fish around the 10lb range. i have attached photos of the carp and cat. For my first trip were I navigated the boat, fishing strictly for catfish, I was pleased. At least I didnt get skunked! I hope to be back out next weekend!

Attached Files:

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I hope that nasty carp was converted into bait! They work pretty good at times.

6. KY King Kat

KY King Kat New Member

State:
    KY
    It was beat pretty good with a bat out of revenge for scarying the crap out of us. We had at least 10 fish nearly jump in the boat, and I bet I saw at least 200 carp jumping out of the water over the course of the trip.

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    NEED BATTING PRACTICE ? Go to Barkley tailwaters and stand behind the rail ! Don't forget to put on your brain bucket !