Fishing better or worse

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jolie, Sep 20, 2008.

Are catfish populations better or worse (locally)

1. catfish populations are better than they were

2. catfish populations are mixed; ex; fewer but bigger; more but smaller

3. catfish populations are worse than they were

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    A simple question, that nevertheless doesn't like it has been been asked recently...

is catfishing getting better, staying the same, or getting worse in local waters where you are?

for those replying, be sure to include your state and tell me if you think smarter regulations are helping, whether fishing pressure has become a problem, If CPR rates have increased (allowing for a better trophy population) or perhaps invasive species like these asian carp are creating problems.

I'm curious, nationalwide, in a non-scientific kind of way if catfish catches are getting better; Its definitely become more popular than it once was

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    NW Pennsylvania

Locally, catfish fishing has become a Little more popular and people are more likely to release them (and less likely to use them for fertilizer).

Pa has horrible regulations (50 per day, no min size) that happily don't effect many of the better catfish spots in the state.

locally, there are few threats from invavise species... in facts in some portions of our state, huge flatheads ARE the invasive species; and a new exciting fishery for our friends in the EAST.

3. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    For me it seems to be a mix here in SC. Still seems to be plenty of Catfish but the over all average size seems to be falling. Trophy cats are getting fewer but the new regulations we have should help & catch & release seems to be catching on among anglers.

4. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    These are the good old day for us around these parts.
    We catch more and better quality fish today than I ever recall.
    We have fisheries you can stock the freezer almost on demand and sure seems that Big fish are much more common. Could be In part, or at least somewhat, do to Catch and release.
    I grew up fishing the Illinois river and I can say the water quality is the best it has been for many Many years.Those CRP Buffer Strips and water control structures gotta help.

I would like to thing we have better equipement and fish smarter but I just plain feel like we got it good at the moment ..real good! :wink::wink:

rg

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I hope it continues to get better down there. I know people who have fished Santee-Cooper, and the spirit of C&R down there they say is terrible with the big fish.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    On the other hand, C&R is strong here on the James in VA. There is actually an over-abundance of small cats in the waters, and people are urged to keep them. Good quantities of 30-40lb fish are present.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I will let my photo album speak fer itself most pics are this year flood and all.....I see alot of good fish ......the fisherey round here has been good since I can rember....& I aint so sure its getting better......next year we shall see:roll_eyes:

8. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I voted mixed but I think unchanged would be more accurate.
    I do see a lot more people fishing the red than I ever used to.
    But I think a lot of people are doing CPR.

I'm from North Dakota on the Red River, we do have a 1 fish over 24" rule that I think is helping to protect the larger fish.

Biggest thing I've seen change is water quality has improved.
    I'd say 95% of the fish I've caught were healthy disease and parasite free. Which is a considerable improvement since the 80's.

9. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I haven't been catfishing long enough to notice a trend but I know I'm not catching as many as I'd like too. :confused2: But that could just be me.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Here in Eastern PA, the flathead ccatfish population is getting bigger, and bigger, and BIGGER!

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The only way I could honestly answer this is to go by what the old timers tell me. I've seen a lot of old pictures and I hear a lot of old stories about the big fish. These old timers say that's the way it use to be but no longer.

I've been fishing my lake for 9 years and its a tough lake for cats but they are there, just not as many as I think there should be .

We have no limit on cats, they are not game fish, Jugs and trot lines aren't used here so that's not a problem, Cpr isn't used here,and we do have a ton of carp . I couldn't really begin to guess at what's going on.

Now I do catch more and bigger fish every year but that comes with experience on my home lake. I wouldn't contribute my bigger catches on lake conservation, just hard work.

12. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    The trick to this question is what defines better?

My area is better in the fact the fish are mostly trophy size but it worries me that I dont catch very many small channel cats.

I used to be able to catch anywhere from 10-50 channel cats a day every day all summer long and I have always practiced C&R.

I think the quality of the fisheries here are better but lacking in the quantity of smaller fish I think Mr. Flathead could be eating alot of our channel cats but I could be wrong.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i catch more and bigger fish these last few years than i ever have. i don't think cats are targeted much here, and i know c&r is not practiced much here. what i think, like someone else already said, is that my skills are improving. that or the cats feel sorry for me.

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The banning of Com fishing on teh Mo river helped alot. Tighter limits also made a huge help. Then the dropping in number of trot line hooks one can use helped out alot. The biggest factor as of late would be the tighter number of what one can keep limits. 5 flatheads, 5 blues and 10 channels in most of the states waters. It cut down on what the trot liners could take. Some of us would like to see a slot limit or only one fish over 24 inch limit on the MO river but I fear it will never happen. Still the Mo river gets better and better each year since comercial fishing for catfish was banned.

15. bigchooch58

bigchooch58 New Member

State:
    San Antonio Tex
    i had to vote better im in central west ga on west point lake 95 % is bass crappie and striper fishing /very few target catfish except the bank fisherman here and there/ so i pretty much have the place to myself /and a few guys on this site