Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Fishing below the Dam?

17K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jdstraka 
#1 ·
I am wondering, do u guys have any tips on fishing the dam? I am going to try to catch some shad or use bream for bait.

#2 ·
CJ, are you fishing from boat or bank?
If fishing from the bank, I won't be much help. And probably not much if you are fishing from a boat. When I fish below a dam most of the time I do a controlled drift. Using the trolling motor to slow and control the boat.
The rig i use most often is a 3 way, just enough weight to stay in contact with bottom and a 3 inch to 24 inch leader.
As for bait skipjack, shad, and brim would be good choices.

#4 ·
CJ, I don't know what size river and dam you fish but up here I mainly fish lowhead dams, not those giant electricity producing things down south. You should be able to cast around and find some slacker water on the bottom somewhere. If you can keep all slack out of your line and use heavy enough weights to hold, you'll find fish on the bottom. The curent going over the surface is greater than on bottom. But you have to tightline your bait down so there's no bow in the line for the curent to grab and jerk your bait downstream. It also helps to cast straight up stream then slowly take in line dragging the sinker across the bottom till it catches on something. That way you have a straight angle to the curent and less water pressure on your line. Experiment with different leader lengths and sinker weights till you find what works.

#7 ·
Fishing below the dam is ten times better. All that churning water creats lots of oxygen that the shad love, which brings up the cats. Plus bait sucked thru the turbines on large power producing dams gets all sliced up creating food for cats and all kind of other fish. All that food and oxygen = lots of big fish.

#8 ·
CJ, are you fishing from boat or bank?
If fishing from the bank, I won't be much help. And probably not much if you are fishing from a boat. When I fish below a dam most of the time I do a controlled drift. Using the trolling motor to slow and control the boat.
The rig i use most often is a 3 way, just enough weight to stay in contact with bottom and a 3 inch to 24 inch leader.
As for bait skipjack, shad, and brim would be good choices.
Bam I wish you would show me how to fish in a week or so like that.:lol:

If I were fishing from the bank. I would try Shad and try cast behind the boils if you can. AS theres a concrete turn up out from them at almost each dam. And the fish can lay there and wait for bait to come to them.
Also if you cast being the boils your bait is allowed to stay in the strike zone longer.
Pete

#9 ·
Hi CJ21,

I fish below a pretty good size dam frequently (from shore). My favorite bait is shad, if I can get large threadfin I use them whole, if all I have is gizzards I cut them up. I use enough weight to cast as far as I want to and to make sure my bait stays put in the current (I try to cast to slack areas but when you have 50 yards of line out some of it is in strong current). There are a lot of snaggs where I fish, so I plan on loosing sinkers and hooks. I do not reel in very often, only following a missed take or after 45 minutes to an hour. I usually use three rods, all casted at different distances, if one has more action than the others I make adjustments to the other two.

I hope this helps.

Take Care,
John

#10 ·
cj , the closer you get to the dam the better heres how i fish below markland dam on the ohio river , take a 5oz bank sinker or heavier put it on the bottom or end of the line up the line about 2 feet make a loop about 8 to 10 inches place your hook on that loop i usually use 9/0 j - hooks . hook your bait and and toss your line as close to the dam as possible or in the current break when it hits bottom tighten your line and set the pole down in a good spot , the rod tip sould move up and down a little watch it get use to it , normally when the fish hits it , it will slam be ready and you should do well

#11 ·
cj , the closer you get to the dam the better heres how i fish below markland dam on the ohio river , take a 5oz bank sinker or heavier put it on the bottom or end of the line up the line about 2 feet make a loop about 8 to 10 inches place your hook on that loop i usually use 9/0 j - hooks . hook your bait and and toss your line as close to the dam as possible or in the current break when it hits bottom tighten your line and set the pole down in a good spot , the rod tip sould move up and down a little watch it get use to it , normally when the fish hits it , it will slam be ready and you should do well
Thank You for the advice Charles, gona give that a Try. J.D.
:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.