Fishing below Bagnell

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mo.Hick, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    The wife and I are going to be camping for a week below Bagnell dam in mid September. What I was wander was how is the fishing in the river below Bagnall Dam. Never fished it and cant be that close to a river without fishing. I will be taking the boat so mobility is no problem.

Tom

2. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    Tom i used to fish it quite a bit ,from experince directly below is catching a lot of small fish. I would usually go down river and find deep holes and fish them, but without a jet you cant get down there to far.my personal best blue cat came from down there about 4 miles down. hope this helps good luck.

3. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey catfish1979 are you online

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Earlier this year towards the end of May fishing was awesome. We landed a 25, 12, and a 9 pound blue in one day and also several between 2-6 pounds. This is the best we've done up there.

As for right now, they have the flood gates dumping and the water is running around 50000 CFS. Last year it ran like this for a while and we would catch a few fish drifting below the dam, but it was pretty slow over all.

With the water being up this much, you should be able to run down river as far as you would like. The only time you need the jet is when the water is off completely. It might be worth checking out down river because there are some pretty deep holes several miles down river.

Good luck to you on your trip. Let us know how you guys did when you get back.

5. crappiecats

crappiecats New Member

State:
    missouri
    theres been so much rain the damn has been wide open, causing a feeding frenzy! weve caught over 100 cats in 5 trips ! Get your shad (baitfish, that you cut a side out of and use guts to make a sandwich basically, make sure u hook gizzard to prevnt bait falling off.) im sure you know this but just incase you didnt. go all the way up in the current it will be fast but use a heavy sinker and drift back towards the ramp, hold on theyll nail it!

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Randy welcom to the BOC. Just want to thank everyone for the info. Cant wait to go. Hope they are still hitting.

Tom

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    If you like to eat crappie, and who doesn't, I hear they have been catching some nice ones in the slack water on the north side bank below the dam.

8. crappiecats

crappiecats New Member

State:
    missouri
    Caught 23 channel today! lots of familyto feed, lol! they really should be bitting in sept. splurging for winter. i got no pictures now, im working on that but trust me , got no reason to waste our time.

9. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    below bagnell is always good this time of year but bait choice is important and so is depth. I agree that I would go down river a ways

10. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Had to cancle vacation due to work:angry:. Hope to get to go mid Oct. Who knows? It really sucks to have to work.

Tom

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    We might run up there this weekend and give it a try. If we don't go there, we will be on the Missouri out of Bonnots Mill hopefully. That is unless it decides to storm all weekend. :confused2:

I'll post a report if we go.

12. jh8302

jh8302 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I caught this 29 lb 13 oz blue cat below the dam in late June on cut shad.
    m_aaca09f7a7e9860a5f112ef004162f70.jpg

13. sherdan

sherdan New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Missouri
    I use to fish below bagnell alot but haven't been but a couple of times this year. I like to anchor about 50 or so yds below ramp, toward the middle and maybe just a little on the ramp side. The two channels meet about another 70 yds or so farther down and the fish come up on the flat to feed, I usually start about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Have caught alot of 30 lb plus fish from there but you can almost always catch a limit of eaters there. Another spot is to anchor opersite of the ramp side of the last little island, it's a deep pool there and fish out in the channel. Perch sides work best for bigger fish but for eaters shad is the best bet. Oct should be pretty good if the weather does as it usually does that time of the year, warm days cool nights. Good Luck

14. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    First off welcom to the BOC Jerry. That is a great fish. Hopefully I will get a chance in Oct. to get down and camp and fish. Thanks to all for the relpys on my post.

Tom

15. jesseray

jesseray New Member

State:
    missouri
    i usually do better fishing at the dam early in the morning or nite fishing,never had much luck downriver but ive only went about a mile down. you NEED shad almost to catch anything good from my experiance.
    but get your boat out there go were the turbine's are lettin the water out and use a casting net or dip net,if the river's down it'll be difficult to get shad so casting net would probly be better if it's down....it took me 2 hour's once to get enough to go fishing and if you still dont get anything just move around the islands a and try around them. and if it's up you would be able to dip them up with a net right from bank. but you should go night fishing ive had better luck with bigger fish at night there.worm's almost always catch little one's for me. but when your all ready and got your bait,fish as close to the dam as you can without goin over the line and fish around the second or 3 pillar on the left side,if you go over further it's deeper but ALOT more snag's. there ya go,have fun!

16. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Well it looks like I will be going in mid Oct. Cant wait I need the break from work.

Tom

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I was up there a few weekends ago crappie fishing and you could see 10 foot deep. There was a bunch of bigheads going around the island that I was trying to hit with the bow, but they were just too deep.

Hopefully the rain doesn't mess up the water any because it will be some killer gigging if it stays that clear. :smile2:

18. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Well with this rain I don't think it will be clear

19. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Stupid rain. Looks like it is going to be a wet wet fall.

Tom

20. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Still running alot of water out of the dam, water temp 75.6. River level is about 1/3 up the launch ramp which is pretty high for non flood conditions. Funny story, had a conservaton agent do a creel survey and questionare on me when I was loading up the boat. Asked me what I was fishing for (catfish) to rate the fishing (pretty poor ..3) and if I caught any fish that I released since I didn't have any in the boat. I told her I had released a 21 lb Blue Cat. She said "2.1?" I said "no, 21" and she started to laugh. She said she had never had a person fishing for catfish below the dam tell her they released a big fish. She put the number over 200 people. She said usually the people are running around the lot showing everyone their big fish and then cleaning them and dumping the guts in the trash or worse the porta potty. Anyway, I found it interesting and thought I'd share what this lady said.