Fishing Before The Rains Came.

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Pip, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Headed out to Dam #4 on the upper Potoamc yesterday after I got off of work at 11am. grabbed a bag of frozen gills I had in the freezer and hit the ramp by noon. Weather man was calling for heavy rains towards evening and figured I could get a couple hours in before it got too bad. Had a mess of catfish on the brain for dinner so I was planning on keeping some for a mess. Got 5 hours in before the rains set in for good. Was showering from about 1pm on, but the bite was still on. Had the bimini top up so I was dry for the most part.( people have laughed at me for having a bimini top on a catfishing boat, but it sure comes in handy at times).

Ended up with 5 channels ranging from 3 to 7# and caught a nice little turtle to boot. Well this was a welcomed bonus as I haven't had any tutle this year yet, with him swallowing the hook, the decision was easy to make. kept him in the boat and left him roam around the floor. After he got tired of the hissing and postering, he settle down and was chasing the peanuts i was sharing with him. That was a bit comical at times. had him running around in the boat going after peanuts. Don't know if he was swallowing them, but was crunching the heck out of the shells. Left him in the boat for the ride home, then got him cleaned up for dinner tonight.

[​IMG]

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for another great fishing report, Mike!

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Congrats Pip and thanks for the report.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Mike for sharing your fishing trip. Those frozen bait are a big plus when one is in a hurry to get on the water. Enjoyed.

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Instead of starting another thread, this is more of a continuance from last week, only under different conditions. Fishing the daylight tournament, under full moon conditions, pretty much picked up where I left off from last week in the general area just below Williamsport on the upper Potomac. Was able to gain a 2nd place in the tourney with a consistant bite.

Put the boat in less then 2' of water most of the day and was steadily catching quality channels. cut gills was the bait of choice and from the get-go the bite was steady. Biggest difference in a week was the water temp dropping roughly 9 degrees. the channels were coming in with fat bellies meaning they were in a feeding mode.

Had a good reason to try to do good in this tourney. Have a friend down in South Carolina along Santee Cooper who has come upon hard times because of a desease he has recently been diagnosed with.No insurance and the medical bills aren't cheap. Was able to donate the winnings, albiet not a lot of money, but hopefully what has been donated will go towards helping with the bills. It's definitely a good feeling knowing that I'm apart of a drive to help ease some of that burden. I generally don't take my tournament fishing seriously, but when needed i can get-r-done with a little luck and perseverance.