Fishing at your bait spot

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigfish, Jul 23, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i noticed when i went to kentucky to fish with jw, and dh and them, they went to their shad spot got bait and went to their fishing hole. i was wondering why not fish for flatheads or any fish for that matter, where the bait is. does it have to do with cover or where there is more bait fish the less chance of one chosing your bait?

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've been thinking about sorta the same thing.

If there's a bunch of bait in an area (in my case redbreast and bluegill sunfish), does that make it a good or a bad place to fish for the flats? Here's the 2 lines of logic as I see them:

1) It should be a good place to fish for the flatheads, because there's bait there and so the flatheads will come there looking for a meal.

2) It is a bad place to fish, because if there were flatheads around, then there wouldn't be so much bait.

SO which is it???

3. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Great question guys, I've tried to figure this out many nights..Ive always had quite a bit of luck catfishin where I catch bait at..but all my real big ones seem to come from someplace else. I know it holds true for Bass fishing, find the forage and you'll find the fish..

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The majority of time I fish where I catch bait at. Sometimes usualy in colder weather the bait fish take over and there is little to no chance of catching anything due to way to much bait. But I am fixing to due alot more fishing of other spots.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jim, there are several spots here on the Ohio where I get bait. I have seen many people fish these spots and have several friends that fish them regularly. What I have noticed though about these spots is that, after it gets good and dark, the baitfish aren't there anymore. I'm quite sure that predator fish run the bait from these holes at dusk. So I would say, in order to do good at these spots you would have to fish them at dusk. Vern

6. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I rarely fish where I catch my bait. I usually catch my bait in fairly shallow water and I feel that the majority of big fish spend most of their time in deep water. I try and find "balls" or schools of forage fish suspending over structure that I can see larger fish holding on. I will fish structure first and bait being over it is an added bonus. I think there is more bait in deep water but it's just to hard to catch, I prefer to catch my bait quick in shallow water and move out to deeper water and hunt for those big fish. JMO.

7. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey vern, yea we fish where the shad are. right now there are litterly millions of them, so i know the flats come through, cause we done pretty good there. but i guess with so much bait i lessens your odds of one hitting your bait. our rivir has very little if any structure, so it sometimes makes the flat hunt a little hard. thanks to all who posted. i was just curious why so many people catch thier bait and then go to thier fishing hole.

8. Ducain

Ducain New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I fish with Jim (BigFish), and I'm constantly confused by this. As he says, we have an area of our river (water outlet from plant) that has schools of literally millions of shad (huge black areas of water where a spinner bait can't even sink because of the sheer number of packed fish), and it just stands to reason that a big flathead looking for a meal would go where the bait is, instead of hanging out where something might happen by. Btw, we've fished there many a night, and the shad are there all night long, and you can hear the predators splashing the water constantly throughout the night (gar, white/hybrid bass, walleye, etc), eating them by the bucketful.

As Jim said, we've done well fishing there. His personal best was caught there, but my personal best was caught in a hole further down river where we've seen very little baitfish (other than very small minnows).

2 1/2 years at least we've been at this hard and heavy here on the Kanawha, and I swear sometimes I feel like it's the first time I've picked up a pole.

:)

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Like Jim has probebly told you by now, these bigger rivers are a horse of a different color, LOL!! Yes you could most likely catch a few right at dusk in the place that we get our bait but, right after that you would be moving to find another place to fish. So why not just go to where they live and get them going and coming. If I was to fish near where the bait is, I would fish a fair distance up or downstream from it because the baitfish are so heavy in there, your bait would be like a needle in a haystack.

10. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well jw those are the words i was looking for, a needle in a hay stack. but see our river is also a different ball game, the deepest is around 22 ft., no cover and mostly flat bottom.

11. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Since I catch my chubs and gils away from the river, I can't go with either argument, but on a side note I have caught a 2lb flathead while catching chubs one day funny thing is he was about 8 miles from a river and to get where he was at he would have had to jump 3 sets of water falls and go through some really skinny water.

Aaron

TA2D