fishing at the dam

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by WV_Catfisherman, Sep 1, 2009.

1. WV_Catfisherman

WV_Catfisherman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    im wanting to go fishing at the dam right before point pleasant ( i think its called robert byrd dam ?) and was looking for some advice. my plan is to catch some skip jacks or other baitfish up there and us that for bait. ill be fishing on the west virginia side, unless someone thinks the fishing is better on the ohio side. i drove up there yesterday and looked around and it looks like i could fish from the bank, down below the locks. any advice on catching the skipjacks ( ive never tried to catch them ) or fishing at the dam would be great.

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Never fished there but as for catching skipjacks find yourself a sabiki rig or just use live minnows preferably crappie minnows or those little river shiners.

3. WV_Catfisherman

State:
    West Virginia
    been doing some research on these Sabiki Rigs, hadnt even heard of them before a few months ago and have never fished with one, and ive read about people jigging them. are they using a bobber to do this? if so about how big a bobber are they using?

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    You attach a small sinker at the end and just throw it into the swift water and real it fast like and watch the magic.Thats about it.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have always done better fishing from the Ohio side.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    wv license works in OH on the river right?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  7. WV_Catfisherman

State:
    West Virginia
    are you talking about catching the skipjacks or fishing for catfish or both from the ohio side? ive always heard the fishing was better on the ohio side. and yes you can fish from either side with a WV or Ohio license.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  8. WV_Catfisherman

State:
    West Virginia
    found some Sabiki Rigs local so am going to give it a try tomorrow. i figured the fish would be in the still water over on the west virginia side, but guess not. will probably try it from both sides, dont know how much catfishing ill do, as i wont have alot of time tomorrow to fish, but if i do catch any skipjacks ill bring them home and freeze them to use for bait at a later date. will let you guys know how i do. thanks for all the help,

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Both. As well as other species.

Though, one of the largest Carp I have caught was from the WV side.

Before they added the new locks the WV side was just to "busy" for the fish I think. Even with the new locks the barges are still closer to the WV side and I think that affects the fishing.

Don't get me wrong, there are still fish to be caught there, but the Ohio side puts you in better current and closer to the actual dam. That and less mechanical disturbance puts the Ohio side higher on my list.

All of that being said,, in my experience( might just be my luck) the fishing there is either hot or cold.

I have either been to busy to smoke, drink, or eat,,, or had plenty of time to read a book.

10. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    Remember to use break away sinkers if you plan on fishing from on the bottom with live or cut bait. A 3 way rig or just use a heavy barrel swivel but use a lighter line than your main line to tie on the sinker because at dams the majority of the snags you get are from the sinker getting lodged in between rocks. I use 50lb Power Pro with 12lb mono for my sinker. Goodluck.:eek:oooh:

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    try a rubber band instead of lighter line, it works really well ive used that rig upto a 3oz bank sinker.

12. WV_Catfisherman

State:
    West Virginia
    thanks for the tips. got my sabiki rigs. dont know if ill get up there this evening or not. i might get up early and go in the morning. will let ya know how i do.

13. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    I have used a rubberband but on the initial cast the sinker slingshots back and hits the bluegill and kills it.

14. WV_Catfisherman

State:
    West Virginia
    Ark, i have to tell ya i laughed a little when i read that. that would definitly suck. i have alot of 8lb line that i smallmouth fish with, will probably got with that. but thanks for the heads up.