Fishing at steam plant

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by SSGGARNER, Apr 12, 2009.

1. SSGGARNER

SSGGARNER New Member

State:
    TN
    Thinking about heading to the steam plant in the morning, any suggestions?

2. skipjack1984

skipjack1984 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    which steam plant are you heading to? if it is the cumberland city steam plant be careful of all the floating trees from the previous rains theres a ton of em i hit one last night on my boat up there. also if you happend to find my anchor i lost plz return it lol

3. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Have any luck at the steam plant? I will be out there Wednesday to try it out, if it isn't any good then try up the river in elk creek. If anyone is interested in a fishing bud for the day let me know.

4. SSGGARNER

SSGGARNER New Member

State:
    TN
    Didn't end up making it to the steamplant, gonna try again tomorrow night, hang out til the morning.

5. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I will be out there tomarrow morning for the day.

6. sleazyj187

sleazyj187 New Member

State:
    montana
    i was out there all weekend, saturday was awesome for catfish, they were really hitting hard on skip jack guts, not so hard on shad though. if you are going to the cumberland steam plant, get there pretty early so you get a good spot and set in, it gets packed pretty quick. also i guess over the weekend people were doing pretty good off of the shore catching little catfish, they are getting ready to spawn so get ready. good luck out there

7. SSGGARNER

SSGGARNER New Member

State:
    TN
    I will be there tonight between 9 and 10 pm.

8. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I will be there in the morning around 6am.

9. SSGGARNER

SSGGARNER New Member

State:
    TN
    Should see you there, I'm headin out tonight at about 7pm and will be leaving about 7am. Last time I was there late night, my buddy pulled out a 45lb carp, or atleast thats what the wieght station told him it was. I hadn't seen that kind of fish before that.

10. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Fishing at the steamplant was decent today. Stripers were constantly being pulled out, and bait fish were in good numbers. Caught one catfish at around 6 lbs, but didn't see anyothers caught. Overall a good day, and rockfish were good in the tummy.

11. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    last time i was at the steam plant on tuesday the water was up high and no one was catching any fish. Gl to u guys out there.

12. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The waters back down to normal there and you can fish off the concrete wall the runs down the side. Plenty of skipjack and yellow thread fin shad running the walls today.

13. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Anyone gonna try to steam plant tomorrow? I will be there around 545am.

14. brotherknothead

brotherknothead New Member

State:
    Ft Campbell, KY
    Hey Brad thanks for posting the update. I am going to try to make it down there on sunday to catch some skips for brother hilljack and some shad also. So hope to see you there.

15. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    So this morning again I got up at 5am and headed to the steam plant. A few people beat me there but not to the fish. I caught around 15-20 strippers and 1 7lb Flathead. Another guy caught a Flathead around 8-9 lbs. It was a excellent day! Am I going to see any of yall out there tomorrow morning?

16. 8up

8up New Member

State:
    TN
    WTG Brad how big were the stripers I have never caught 1.

17. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Ron you and me are missing out on some good stuff there at the steam plant........

18. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Today again bright and early, started fishing at 6am. Caught around 10 strippers that were around 5-8 lbs. Good meal size. The rockfish were hitting good from 6 to 9, then they slacked off. I left at 11 and ate my fish. Skipjack were running pretty decent, shad were on the slow side. Good to see eric out there, we will be hitting lock c in the boat Monday. Good luck fellow fisherman. It's a good time out there tearing them rockfish up. Later

19. 8up

8up New Member

State:
    TN
    Congrats on a good day Brad, what are you catching the stripers on I have never caught 1. Not sure really even how to rig for one.

20. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yup I'll be out at the steam plant again tomorrow morning from 6-8.. Most people tight line a shad with a 3 oz weight. I fish the boils at the plant with a bass rod. I have a 3 way swivel 3 oz weight on a 3 in line, and a circle hook with a 4-6 foot line off of the 3 way. Just bounce the weight on the bottom through the boils. It seems to be productive. They are good fish to eat and fight good. Skip jack run good through there too. Run down the the plant catch your limit of 2 strippers and a bucket full of shad and skip and go cat fishing. If you ever what to try it out let me know and I'd be glad to spend a few hours fishing!