Fishing at Smithville

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mo.Hick, May 27, 2008.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I will be camping and fishing at smithville over the fourth of july. I know how crowed it will be but I have familey coming in from Atlanta and cant go to far from home because of having to get together with them. What I was wandering what is the catfishing like on smithville like and what part of the lake should I try? I know the lake from bass fishing years ago. I just have never fished it for cats. I would guess that fresh shad would be the bait of choice.

Tom

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you want to sleep at night, stay away from Camp Branch campground. There's an outside bar at the marina on the west side of the lake that blasts music until 2am nightly. (Of course, if you're going to battle it out with the zillions of other city slickers over the July 4th weekend, you won't get much sleep anyway. So it may not be a big deal.)

3. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I were you I would camp at Crows creek. The crappie fishing has been on fire lately!

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I do plan on camping at crows creek they have more electric and water hook up there verses camp branch. Mr. T if those city slickers will pay attention they might learn how to enjoy life from this country boy:big_smile:. Still looking for info on the catfishing.

Tom

5. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tom: I fish Smithville quit a bit and from where you are camping you might try the Arley area, that is the camp branch arm up close to C highway. I have caught quite a few channels there and a few blues.

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Thanks Argel. I have cought a lot of bass and crappie many years ago there but just never fished the lake for cats. Thanks again for the info.

Tom

7. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Seriously, just cast off of any point. Shallow = good, Windy = Better. I just watched a guy pull in a 2 stringers of channels right off the point by his camper. If windy, use Sonny's or Wicked Sticky. It will keep the small bass and perch from stealing you blind. For bigger cats in the heat, try the ledges or river channels, for conisitent bites, look for the humps in the main lake. There is a good hump over by the golf course NE of the dam rip rap area. Cut bait in the second cove north of W bridge on the west side produces, but you shouldn't fish there at night due to the amount of trees under the surface. It goes back a ways, but you should know the river channel and take it slow. The Trimble area will get pounded by partiers, but at night can be productive.

8. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    Don't plan on fishing any water that is open. The big boats go up there and tear the place up on the holiday weekends. Pull out your Smithville Lake map and find the deepest coves. They still have lots of heavy cover that block the big cruisers. You won't have a peaceful fishing trip unless you plan on fishing at night. I took my 16' bass boat out on Smithville Lake a few years ago and hit a wave so hard that I broke the hinges off my rod storage compartment. I haven't ventured back out on the lake during the weekends even though it's 10 minutes from my house.

There are plenty of fish if you can get to them. Good luck.