Fishing at Robert C. Byrd locks

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by BigRoo, Jul 26, 2009.

1. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    Anyone fishing the "Byrd" locks and how is the fishing there? I have never fished there before and I'm about a hours drive from there. I deer hunt a farm in West Virginia about five minutes from the locks. Thanks,Phil:confused2:

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Phil, I don't know if you have fishing access on the WVa side of the dam or not, just never noticed. However on the Ohio side it has recently been updated with new pier, parking lot, walk ways and handicap access. Very nice . I never catfish there but I see lots of folks catch both nice channell and Shovlehead. Some with a good size to them also. When I don't feel like launching the boat I will go there to fish for sauger and striper. Its a good spot for both of them,especially in winter months. Also about 3 miles down river from the dam on the Ohio side is a public ramp with lots of parking(lighted if my memory hasn't went totally south). Hope this helps. BTW welcome to the site

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009

3. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    Thanks ,John
    I will probably launch at Greenbottom on the W.V. side it looks like on the charts that it is about 6 or 7 miles to the locks. I hope I can get there soon. I was there on land on the W.V. side about two weeks ago and it looks like you can fish closer to the dam than you can on the Kanawha River. You have to stay back pretty far from the gates on the Kanawha you can't get close enough to fish the seams between the open gates.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "I will probably launch at Greenbottom"

Have you eyeballed that ramp yet??

If not, you may want to.

5. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    No Danzig I have never seen the ramp is there a problem with the ramp?Thanks, Phil

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have not been there for a couple years but it was not what you would call a deluxe ramp.

Steep approach, small, and narrow. Gravel access road, Parking for your rig is Very secluded.

IF I took a notion to strip or break into a vehicle, that's where I would look for one.

Like I said, it has been a couple years since I have been there,, things may have changed,, But if it were me, I would have a look-see before I committed to using that one.
    (Good excuse to side on down to Hillbilly Hotdogs and get some chow also. Tell your sweety it's a date and call it a two-fer)

I have not been to the Ohio side ramp John spoke of, but I have eyeballed it on Google Earth and it looks to be a much better situation.

7. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Those dogs are good aren't they :haha:

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yes they are!
    If you are going to be that close, it would be a shame not to getcha some.

He can tell his sweety that he is taking her out for a dog (sweetys like unexpected dates) and then "just now remember" that there is a ramp out that way and go look at it.
    OR tell his sweety they are going there to "neck".:wink:

BTW The road to the ramp is marked,, But is easy to miss as you zip by at 55.

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Phil. Good luck on the fishing.

10. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    Thanks Danzig
    There is nothing better than a "good" hot dog I'll use that excuse to make a recon run to the ramp. Maybe I'll see you and John at the stand or on the river. Phil

11. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    If you haven't been to the Hot Dog place. It will be on your left going down river. Looks like a combo School bus/outhouse/barn/cathouse. Very interesting museum (?) like atmosphere. And most important, they really make a mean hotdog.

12. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    Thanks John I will check it out and try the dogs.

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i go past that place when i go to catlettsburg for a load of gas very interesting looking place actually it looks like a dump lol if the dogs are that good ill have to stop and try them out

14. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia