Fishing at night...

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by vegasryder, Sep 27, 2006.

1. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just wondering if you guys/gals can fill me in on night fishing this time of year.I know the cats are trying to fatten up for the winter season,but i dont know if the bites at night would be the same as it was in the summer.Would it be better to go in the morning?We usually fish from 11pm to 5am.Temps here in Chicago are around 60`s in the day and mid/low 40`s at night.I was planning to hit the Illinois River this Friday night but i dont really want to be freezing all night and not catch anything.Also...are they still coming close to shore to feed?Thanks...

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    As long as the water temp is still above 50 degrees or so you should still be able to catch flatheads. I catch them down here until january or so then not too many bites at all. I still fish shallow at night since they will be out there hunting. Well good luck

3. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thats about the only time i fish is during night time. i have had better bites in the fall at night then in the summer.

4. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    The water temp. is what slows them down. The cats will continue
    to prowl for food but as the water gets colder they will slow down
    to a crawl. As for human comforts, very early morning. You get
    cold for a few hours but then the morning sun will thaw you out. Good luck

5. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I fish every night from 7pm to 11 and do great never tryed daylight

6. Bullhead61

Bullhead61 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I start just at sundown and fish about an hour or two after dark and have been doing quite well.

7. harecutter

harecutter New Member

State:
    Sebastapol,Texas
    Do great at night,full moon great help,no lights to to spook fish in shallows when they are feeding.:big_smile:

8. Duzy

Duzy New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Just fish whenever you can.

9. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    For me here in Oklahoma I catch more flats at night any time of year but as fall approches it seems the bite starts earlier in the evening

10. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i feel in the fall u can catch them during the day also they are feeding up for winter move around alot tho during the day dont sit all day in 1 spot and like allways target structure ,ledges, both deep and shallow.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    early in the spring, and late fall flatheads can be caught all day long. i often do all my flat fishing during the light hours at this time of the year, as temp.s rise in the spring, their habits seem to shift with their increasing metabolism. by early summer, most flats i catch are more nocturnal feeding mostly at night...goodluck...rollo

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Anytime you can go fishing is a good time to go. As for me in the summer and fall I will fish the early morning and right after sunset into the night. In the winter I try to switch to just before sunrise and fish into the early morning.

13. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    WHEN I NEED GLOVES I DONT FISH.......I DUST OFF MY GUNS. LOL

GOOD FISHING