Fishing at LOZ 36MM

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Fastman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I fished this weekend at LOZ 36MM.
    Started trolling for white bass at sunup on Sat morning. Wife caught 1. She got bored and wanted to go back to the house.
    OK..., now its catfishing time!!!!
    Time to put some of my new-found knowledge (thanks BOC) to use.
    I parked my boat in the middle of the cove in 30' of water at 8AM. Baited up 2 poles with some chunked shad. The wait was on....
    I drifted around for about 40 minutes and was starting to think I was still missing something.
    Then out of nowhere and without ANY warning at all one of my poles went from straight to bent in half. WOW!!! FISH ON!!! I have never seen that before.
    So I finally get my pole out of the holder (was wedged tightly due to something big, now under my boat) :)
    Started to get it turned around to come my way. I had him what seem to be close to the boat, and ZZZZZZ he spooled me out twice as far as he was to begin with. Now my heart is about ready to pound out of my chest!!!! At this point I know this is bigger than anything I have ever had. So, I start working it back again. It was a give and take kinda thing for a while. So finally after about 15 minutes (felt like an hour) I finally got to see a mouth!!! OMG!!! Its a Blue. I have only read about fish like this!
    I got him out of the water and into the live well myself. Back at the house I weighed it at 6lbs 10oz. It was by far the biggest I have ever caught.
    I suspect I prolly have not ever caught anything bigger than 4 lbs channel previously. I think my little brother has caught a couple of 3lbs. Even better, this is really my first outing of the year. Its only gonna get better!
    This was my only bite.
    Fastman

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great job! Sounds like you might need to invest in some stronger tackle if a 6 pounder took that much line from you. You're really gonna have a heart attack when a 25-40 pounder finds your bait. Its actually kind of fun if you're drift fishing, they can tow the boat around like a trolling motor! Chris

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Congrats on your Blue Cat:big_smile: ...like Chris said though..you keep using shad for bait on Lake of the Ozarks, your eventually in for a real eye opener!...LMAO:eek:oooh: Hope ya get ahold of one of those bigger cats.:big_smile:

4. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I cant wait for that 'eye opening' 'heart attack'!!!
    I have been waiting all winter for it :)
    I didnt know what I had, and with this being the first 'test,' I didnt know how much pullin I could do.
    Later that day, I got hung up on a branch at the bottom, and before I could break the 17lb test Cajun Red, I had the branch on top of the water. That stuff is tuff. The hooks I was using are strong too. And appearantly, I learned how to tie knots over the winter. They are now unbreakable. I have never been able to stress my equipment this much.
    Im oviously used to fishin for kittens, not Cats!!!!
    This is the first time I have used 'upgraded' equipment.
    Fastman

5. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    so the blues are hitting shad are channels hitting them too and what about perch im going this weekend and hope to get one

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Roger on this lake the number one bait for cats is fresh shad in my opinion. The reason being is that they are so abundant that they are the primary forage fish. When I can't find shad I go to Bluegills. Not sure what part of the lake your fishing but I believe the spawn has started here which might slow you down some catching cats, at least on the upper end. I have still been catching a few here around the 58MM but its slowing down and the size cats seem to be getting smaller. Thats not to say you won't find some biting though. The water temp is about right for the spawn in this area but on the lower portion the water is probably cooler. Sure wish you the best out there.:wink:

7. CaTfIsH90

CaTfIsH90 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anyone near the 7 1/2 MM? Last April I caught a 70lb Flathead and a 40lb Flathead in the same weekend. I cant seem to get anything else, any tips?