Fishing at Ft Gibson Dam

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Dirtdobber, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Just got a call from Grandson and the stripers are hitting at Ft Gibson Dam. They have all the turbines on and are opening flood gates. This weather should get them going good. The big cats should follow the stripers in if they keep the water going.

2. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    dang, wish I had some time to fish, but trying to get my house back in order before my girlfriend gets back home next Thursday

3. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    They have 28 flood gates open now and will probably open the last two tomorrow. The fishing should be good next week if they leave the gates open.

4. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    How big were those stripers? And are they still hitting near the generators? Might be planning a trip out there this week..

5. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    The biggest was a little over 20 lbs. They have moved out to the wall and past. The corp opened 28 flood gates. When they shut them back down the fish will move back in to the generators. If you know where the hump is on the west side you may pick some up there.
    It was raining this morning so we didn't go. Haven't heard yet if they are biting today.

6. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yea I've seen that hump when the floodgates were closed... saw lots of busting out there.. but would definately need a boat to reach it though..

Thanks for the info!
    Ken

7. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    If you come straight off from the west parking lot you can reach it now. Get about 20 yds down river from that little cove on the west side and you should be able to cast to it. Let it roll off the back side and they will be holding there. Just talked to my Grandson and they were catching Blues on jigs yesterday. They were on the bank throwing to the hump and letting it round off the back side. They caught several, but nothing of any size.

8. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Just got a call that all the gates are open at Ft Gibson. Fish weren't biting today. A few sand bass on the west side. They may be letting out to much water, the water is almost covering the generator holes. Corps web site is not up to date so I don't know how much water is being discharged.

9. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    The Corps is starting to bring the flood gates down so the fishing should pick up. I hope they leave them at about 3/4 foot all week. Grandson fished today, caught some crappie early then 1 blue. Was slow all day.