Fishing at Cave Run Lake

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by kycatman01, Dec 25, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    A friend and I went fishing at the lake on December 22. We went in the evening and it was also raining. My friend, David, caught a small channel cat on nightcrawlers. We got several bites. I know we didn't do that good but it was nice just to get out with a friend, after all that is what matters. We are going again soon and hope to do as good or better. Good luck to all and be safe!!

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If something happens to hook up on you and feels like a whale running for the outhouse and rips the line of at a high rate of speed don't let it worry you to much because there are some rather large Muskies in that lake.

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yes, there is some nice Musky in there. The Ky state record came from that lake. I was at the boat marina when they brought the record in. Man, it was huge.

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The dam at Cave Run took my old fishing spot in the river and I have never fished the lake.We used to go down there on Saturday and spend the night.On his seventh birthday my son got a 15 lb. flathead on his birthday present.Am planing on going to Grayson lake soon if we get some good weather to try out some new equipment.Have never fished for cats in the wintertime so could use some advise on depth to fish.Have got cats out of the Ohio river in winter in about 10-15ft.
    Jake

5. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I don't really know anything about Grayson Lake. I only fish there 2 times. I would say the cats would be kind of deep, though. Good luck!!

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've never heard the expression " A whale running for the outhouse" now that down right tickles my funnybone. I believe that's an expression I will use if I'm ever lucky enough to get ahold of a biggun! Catfish that is!!:haha: :haha: :haha:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm wanting to go try Grayson Lake sometime this winter.I've only fished it in the summer time.I'm abt 35-45 mins away from the lake.

8. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The boys who jug fish the lake in the summer catch some big ones.Several years ago I fished for bass a lot but never tried for catfish.
    I am also about 30 minutes from the lake and about one mile from Greenup county.
    Jake

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Where you at in KY? I live in Flatwoods,was born and raised out in Boyd Co.There's a lot of good ponds around here to fish in.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    John I haven't fished Grayson in a long time but use to do some good crappie fishing there in the winter time. The older I got the longer the drive got to be so I kinda slacked off on the driving to fish.

11. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    John,
    I live in northeast Carter county about ten miles from Grayson.
    Do you fish the Ohio around the dam?In the winter?
    Jake