Fishing around South Padre Island

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by BajaCoop, Mar 5, 2008.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I am going to be in south Padre Island for Spring Break from March 24-29 and was thinking about doing some saltwater fishing. I am not looking to spend a ton of money to charter a boat for just a few people but rather one of the boats that I can just pay 50 bucks or whatevr and get on with whoever.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good service where I will have a good time and catch some fish.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Isn't that Easter (Spring) Break time period? Good luck on that! Padre Island is overrun at that time with .............Hey, can I come? LOL

3. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    well that is spring break time but my school has spring break on an off week so it will not be really crowded.

I have never been to the ocean before so I thought it might be fun to take part of a day and go fishing.

I could be happy if I could just fish off a pier and catch something.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    You might try & go to Port aransas, they have boats there where you just show up & pay the fee & go fishing. They usually fill the boat then take off if it's not chartered privately or by a big party!!!! There's some that go all day or at night!!! We went last year for a company fishing trip & caught a ton of red snapper, they will let u fish for sharks also if there arent too many ppl on the boat, but good luck this time of year they are booked pretty quick.....btw South Padre is crawling w/ppl this time of year for at least 2 months straight.....

5. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    well problem with going there is it is 200 miles from south padre

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    If you don't want to go that far south or are flexible on your destination, Galveston may have what you want... they are really busy over spring break, but not as bad as Padre I don't think...

There's tons of info on the web...

7. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I already have plans to go to South Padre. I am looking for info for South Padre only.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have never fished at South Padre but I have been there.It is BEAUTIFUL. There are a ton of fishing opportunites down there so I dont think you will have a probelm.Either way you will still have a good time.

9. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Try this. I've never fished with them, but I've had decent luck over the years fishing various party boats along the Texas coast. It's a lot cheaper than a private charter. But remember, you get what you pay for.

http://ospreyfishingtrips.com/

10. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    that is the one boat that I have found so far. Looks ok not as good as a private charter but not nearly as expensive.

11. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    wher on soth padre are u gonna be????that is a big seashore!!! if ur gonna go thru corpus christi & get on the island it's not that far from port aransas, if ur gonna be down the beach a ways then there arent many charters close by at all, ud be better off going to big shell & try ur luck @ surf fishing.....

12. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I am going to be down alomost to the tip of the Island.

What is big shell?

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    When u get to the island @ corpus headed south there will be a 4x4 only sign, just keep driving it's isolated pretty much cuz it is about to the end of the island, there is little shell & big shell, they are partof the beach that is way down there,,,real good fishing esp for shark...that is where alot of ppl go to get away from everyone since u pretty much need 4x4 to go thru the sand, unless u wait for low tide & drive the beach all the way back!!!!

14. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    We just got back from Port Aransas. Theres several party charters off the island. They are mainly catching shark, king mackeral and red snapper. However snapper season is closed. Good luck hope this helps

15. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I just got down to south Padre and I am staying in the HOJO on the the island I am going to go down to the pier by the bridge and see what is happening tomorrow.