Fishing around barges

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by crazy4catfish, Aug 28, 2006.

1. crazy4catfish

crazy4catfish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Does anyone ever have any luck fishing around barges. Im not crazy about getting to close to them. There are a lot of them moored where I fish at , a buddy and I anchored down from some using stink bait, had a lot of small bites but no reel luck. There was 13' of water and it looked good .Also we seen alot of small silver maybe shiners jumping out of the water are big catfish chasing them when u see this? Thank Bill

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    yes if you can find a log jam behind one that is tied up all the time. fish as close as you can. watch your pole they hit hard an fast.hope have some luck.

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    You can also anchor up stream, put just enough weight to hold your bait down and let it drift under the barge. Those bigger flats like to hide under there especially in the daytime. I have better luck fishing around barges that have been there for awhile.

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I recently read an article from a gentleman that made it onto Infisherman Catfishing edition. He said that down by St. Louis, on the river, there is a place that repairs barges. These barges are parked for several days, and sometimes longer than a week.

He fishes all around the barges, and produces very large cats, especially at night. Especially at night, he claimed that the flood lights on board the barge would attract bugs, which would attract small fish, which in turn would attract cats.

The article was in Missouri Conservation Magazine, I think.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2006/06/40.htm

5. crazy4catfish

crazy4catfish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the web site Ill look into it,and thank for the info guys
    Bill

6. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have heard alot of good things about fishing by barges. Be very careful, though!!

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    As long as the tugboat isn't hooked to it your in pretty good shape.Without the tug the barge can't go anywhere(IHope).Good luck but be careful just the same.