Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:Mad:I would like some ideas on getting some legislation past to get our levees opened back up for the bank fisherman. I'm a bank fisherman. I don't want to be but that's the way it is. I can't afford a boat as well as a lot of fellow fishermen. Now there's should be something be something that can be done to open these areas back up. The only reason they're closed anyway is because the state or county don't want to maintain the roads. And part of the reason is because of vandals. But I pay good money for my wife's and I licenses and part of that money is for maintaining the recreational areas. Even though they've gotten rid of the Delta-Bay stamp I still don't see how all that money benefited us, the poor fishermen. Can anyone tell me the process I should take or do we have some pull with someone that I don't know about to get this ball rolling. Let's band together and move those barricades!!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you're saying, but they got repair them at some time. But I don't see how closing them is going to help. That's my point though, look like some of the money being paid for licenses could go for it. You got a lot of boat fisherman but here it a safe bet we got a 10 to 1 Bank to Boat fisherman ratio at least in this area. I wish I did own a piece some acreage around the delta's levees!! I can see all kind of premium sports resorts in this area. There's big tourism here in the Big Valley. Heck the farmers aren't farming anymore anyways. Well anyway I just wanted to know if there is a route you could take to bring this to someone's attention

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Thanks Tom.... rather big article... and I'm sure with your memory you have no problem seeing all that is there....LOL

Read this and you'll have a better understanding of why the levees are being closed.
Unless you can figure out how to fund the repairs that are needed then you can just kiss shore fishing along those levees goodbye.

http://www.water.ca.gov/floodmgmt/dsmo/sab/drmsp/docs/RiskAnalysis_Report-sec1-2-3-4(062607).pdf
I'm not sure... but there are "riparian rights" that should take precedence...

Im not saying that to park on the levee is legal... but to walk on them ... I believe is legal... especially at the Mossdale area.

Going to check out my water rights article on my cpu

Later...

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Here is the article on the riparian rights that I spoke about....

I know what you're saying, but they got repair them at some time. But I don't see how closing them is going to help. That's my point though, look like some of the money being paid for licenses could go for it. You got a lot of boat fisherman but here it a safe bet we got a 10 to 1 Bank to Boat fisherman ratio at least in this area. I wish I did own a piece some acreage around the delta's levees!! I can see all kind of premium sports resorts in this area. There's big tourism here in the Big Valley. Heck the farmers aren't farming anymore anyways. Well anyway I just wanted to know if there is a route you could take to bring this to someone's attention
I starts with history of water rights and access to the waters... and

Best of all explains how to handle the cituation when confronted.

Lots to look at.....

This article is about public ownership of rivers, public rights to use rivers, and river conservation. If you are faced with a river access or conservation dispute, do not try to “settle” it with confrontations or threats of violence, which can lead to criminal charges, fines, and jail time, without settling anything. Instead, follow the steps outlined at the end of this folder. By reading this article and related materials, you can educate yourself and other people about river law, and avoid costly and frustrating problems.

River History: Your river rights, for river navigability, river access, river conservation, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, paddling, whitewater, and fly-fishing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the best explanation I've had. I can understand what the article was saying. So of the these things are just to costly to squabble over. I guess the reason it's a personal thing for me is, these are the rivers I was raised on and I moved away for a while and come back and it's like those places never where there. Unless you where raised in this area, you wouldn't

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Here is the article on the riparian rights that I spoke about....

I starts with history of water rights and access to the waters... and

Best of all explains how to handle the cituation when confronted.

Lots to look at.....

This article is about public ownership of rivers, public rights to use rivers, and river conservation. If you are faced with a river access or conservation dispute, do not try to “settle” it with confrontations or threats of violence, which can lead to criminal charges, fines, and jail time, without settling anything. Instead, follow the steps outlined at the end of this folder. By reading this article and related materials, you can educate yourself and other people about river law, and avoid costly and frustrating problems.

River History: Your river rights, for river navigability, river access, river conservation, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, paddling, whitewater, and fly-fishing.

That is an interesting link Bayrunner Ray:handshake:

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
That's the best explanation I've had. I can understand what the article was saying. So of the these things are just to costly to squabble over. I guess the reason it's a personal thing for me is, these are the rivers I was raised on and I moved away for a while and come back and it's like those places never where there. Unless you where raised in this area, you wouldn't
Hey Ron,
I totally understand where you are coming from - I, like yourself grew up fishing the Ca. Delta, and without getting into a big discussion over it (the so call do's & don't's over it all), it just sad to pay all of the money that we do for your Ca. license - only to not be able to fish in the any of the 1000 miles of water ways of it or even worse - having to pay to fish in certain lakes & reservoir's - "after you have payed for that Ca. license".
:dont-know:
(I fill ya Buddy)
:wink:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Some you can still fish on them just get permission from the owner that's what me and my wife do in tracy and park the car in there driveway, and some you can't even drive on them or get a big ticket like some of the Aquaducts now.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I know a lot of it is people who own the property are putting "no trespassing" signs up because they dont' want to deal with cleaning up after people. It sucks because waters we fished for years are now closed off and getting worse. Seems like there won't be much bank access at all pretty soon. Like John said it's nice to know people or meet people that have land on the water.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
That spot we spend the night at in tracy they lock the gate now but if it is open I wouldn't drive up there so I met the woman that live right there on the side street and told me that people go up there leave it a mess so she said if we wanna stay over night just leave the cars in her yard and I met her husband too they were nice about it too.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
That spot we spend the night at in tracy they lock the gate now but if it is open I wouldn't drive up there so I met the woman that live right there on the side street and told me that people go up there leave it a mess so she said if we wanna stay over night just leave the cars in her yard and I met her husband too they were nice about it too.
So you have to carry everything all the way to the levy? Would they just let us bring one vehicle? That's a far walk with all of our stuff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input. I just wanted to know if I had any sentiment out there.....lol. I'll be getting a boat here sometimes.......Then I'll be looking for a public ramp that isn't 50 miles away from the hole I want to fish!! I'll get up to Sacramento then cause they have all those river beaches!!
GOOD FISHING!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I just wanted to know if I had any sentiment out there.....lol. I'll be getting a boat here sometimes.......Then I'll be looking for a public ramp that isn't 50 miles away from the hole I want to fish!! I'll get up to Sacramento then cause they have all those river beaches!!
GOOD FISHING!!:biggrin:
I should be getting up there in the next month. You wanna get togehter and wet a line brother, just let me know. I would be more than happy to show you a few shore spots:handshake:

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I should be getting up there in the next month. You wanna get togehter and wet a line brother, just let me know. I would be more than happy to show you a few shore spots:handshake:
Hey Big Robb,
Let me know when you are going to make that trip - because you know me - I want to try and be a part of that.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Hey Big Robb,
Let me know when you are going to make that trip - because you know me - I want to try and be a part of that.
Bert, there are a few spots that Phillip might have taken you to also. I know there was a spot by the sugar plant that was off the hook! A lil walk, but worth it:cowboy: You know brother Bert you will be part of the trip:handshake:

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Bert, there are a few spots that Phillip might have taken you to also. I know there was a spot by the sugar plant that was off the hook! A lil walk, but worth it:cowboy: You know brother Bert you will be part of the trip:handshake:
Hey Big Robb,
Phillip & I took alot of trips to areas on the Delta - the sugar plant (or Sugar Cut) was one of the places that we were going to check out but never got the chance to.
Another thing that alot of people may or may not know was that Phillip was working on a houseboat in the Moss-dale area / and he had just made the finishing touches on it / Him , myself & my bother-in-law was all planing on taking it out (kind of a mini gathering) - "One week before his passing" - he was just doing some side work to start putting some money together for it - & after we checked out the bugs in the houseboat - he was going to start putting together a gathering for us all.
"I just miss my Buddy"
:sad:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.