Fishing and listening - Truman Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by POLECAT, Apr 13, 2008.

1. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    I waited until I was 51 yrs. old to finally make the decision to fish below Truman Dam last year. The time had come and it was now or never, atleast that was the way I looked at it. We made a trip up last summer just to get the lay of the land and see how it was done, got back to Springfield and bought the right equipment and late in the summer made several trips back to the Tailrace to fish and didnt do much good.
    The one thing I wasnt doing was listening. I heard it over and over but continued to ignore this advice well given ( USE FRESH SHAD ) . I watched guys tie knots, looked over their set ups and beat the water with my rods and didnt catch much and continued to try to fish with everything but fresh shad. I analyzed and re-analyzed and finally bought a throw net and learned how to use it. Guess what ? 2 out of 3 trips this spring have been productive, nothing really big -- but thats not the point -- PRODUCTIVE !
    I think I've finally learned to listen and I mean listen close especially when I get a chance to talk with someone who obviously knows what they're doing below the dam. I ask questions and then go back and reflect on the conversation. One old man told me about a grandson who said " if we dont have fresh shad then there just aint no sense fishin " . Imagine that, an innocent statement from a child to wake up a guy my age. Oh well, it takes what it takes but atleast I'm catching a few fish. I've spent hours on this forum reading what you guys have to say about alot of topics but I'm going to go back and read again and this time I'll really be paying attention. Keep posting the good info because some of us are slower listeners than others. Paul

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the advice somtimes listening helps

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Paul we are the same age. Ya never get to old to learn if a person just will. Sometimes i get to thinkin i'm a seasoned vet. and know it all,,,only to be humbled by a stinkin fish. Good luck and keep ya ear's open. God give us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason, this is hard for me to remember however.:crazy:

4. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Paul if you put your time in below the dam you will catch a big one. They are there you can count on that. As much water as there is this year should be a great spring below the dam. Its my favorite place to fish. There are so many fish up there it aint even funny and you never know what you are gonna catch. There are several people on here that fish there and they give great advice. I am sure you will meet some of them this year. You should try and come to one of the Missouri ACATS tournaments. There are 3 below the dam. Should have some hawgs at the weigh ins. Even if you don't want to fish in them you could come to the weigh ins just to meet some of the guys and maybe pick up a few tips. Good luck and may you catch your new PB. Im sure I will see ya up there. Josh

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sometimes it pays to listen !

6. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Josh, I know what your saying is true about putting your time in. I get one wednesday a week to be there until the 1st of June and I plan on doing that. The trips up and back are usually pretty enjoyable though and having lunch at the Rusty Skillet downtown is always good. Last wednesday we were doing some good so we didnt even break for lunch. Good thing my better half has the fever as bad as I do but sometimes I wonder what will happen when she hooks a big'un ! Paul

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    "When SHE hooks a big'un,,,you my friend had better be good with da net!!!!:smile2:

8. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Countryhart, I know what your says about the net. I think I better make sure her equipment is in good order too. Couldnt think if anything being much worse than a wife mad at me because her equipment failed and she lost a big'un.

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Good for you brother. It always amazes me that when I tell people what thay are doing wrong, they dont take my advice.I dont bother tellin some people anymore because they dont listen.Oh well I quess I will catch fish while they sit there and watch!:smile2: Go get that biggun!

10. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    great post. I am always learning my errors. just last week i finally figured out some of the basics. Thanks for sharing. see you at the dam

11. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Well, its tuesday morning and gotta get the yard work done today because about this time tomorrow morning we'll be pulling out of the driveway headed for Warsaw. I think we'll put in at drake harbor again so if any of you guys happen to see an old brown olds 98 pulling a 14 ft john that will be us , so be sure to give us a hollar. Weather man says it will be pretty windy tomorrow but warm so we'll probably head up toward the dam and try to get a spot to tie off and fish most of the day. Wish us luck ! Paul

12. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Let us know how you do polecat. I know what you say about listening. I have fished the Mo river for years caught a lot of cats but no big'uns. Hopefully with what I read on here and the answers I get from the brothers on here I might learn something. Good luck at the dam this week.

Tom

13. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    We put in at the dam wednesday morning and I mean the fishermen were out in full force. Just getting around the boats to get out of the old channel was a real task, I like to give the other guys plenty of room when I go around them.
    I'm not gonna lie, the wind was trecherous and combined with the water they were running I was just a little concerned in that 14 ft john. Anyway, we fished and fished hard not far below the buoys on the west side probably 50 yds. below the mouth of the old channel. The wife out fished me in the size category and I took the most fish for the day. We ended up bringing home 7 really nice fish to filet for the freezer and turned back several that needed to grow some. The shad were a little shaky to come by but found them in closer to the bank in shallower water, probably due to the wind I figure. I still havent figured out if I'm wind burnt or sunburnt or probably just both. We finally pulled out about 6pm so really we had to work for the fish we got. Maybe next week we'll just take a lantern and hit the dam about 3pm and stay for most of the nite and just relax on the bank. We still like sitting on the bank at nite and probably not ready to be out in a boat after dark especially if they're running much water ( better leave that to the seasoned Benton county boys for awhile anyway ) To sum it up -- WE HAD BIG FUN AND THERE JUST AINT NO PLACE LIKE THE TAILRACE AT TRUMAN !!! Paul