FISHING AND DISABILITY

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by crackers, Mar 6, 2008.

1. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    This post is a request for those who are on disability that would like the Missouri Department of Conservation provide a free permit to fish or hunt. They do provide a permit but on a very limited scale. But I think any one who has went through the agony of having Dr.s and fighting with the court system to prove that your Disabled and then you get a very small amount of income should have that right for a free permit. just because your disabled you are still a sportsman or sportswoman by heart..

If you would set down and write a letter to the MDC and request a considerration, I think we can get this changed.. I spoke with a person there Yesterday and that is what they told me to do.

Write the letter and tell them how your on a limited income but you still like to fish and hunt and how much it would benfit you by doing this..

the person for the South west region is

John Hoskins
    Director MDC
    P.O. 180
    Jefferson City Mo.
    65702-0180

There Jefferson Phone No. is 1-573-522-4115

and if you know of any other States that has permits for the disabled you might tell of them also...

If you have any comments or questions please let me know,, and I did talk to whistler about this before I posted and he suggested I post... thans very much for reading this post

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Iowa has it. I have filled out all of the paperwork ect, and have been issued a lifetime fishing license. I also get a hunting license, but I have to apply every year.
    Later Andy

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great Post Jerry. I agree. Although I am not disabled, I have no problem supporting legislation such as this. Missouri is very receptive to these types of things.

I know at a vast majority of our public waterways and parks access is granted for those with disabilities in the form of separate ramps, docks etc. I'll be happy to forward a letter in regards to this as well.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Good luck Guys I do know MS also has it.
    Tn you have to be in a wheel chair.
    I am 100% disabled. And at times wish it was that way in Tn. but still I do not mind paying the 20+ a year to fish and hunt small game. As that is now our Wildlife staff are supported. But I know theres people out there that would love to fish. But can not come up with the $$. For them I would love to see it here.
    Again Good luck and hope you can get enough people behind it to get something started.
    Not sure if you know this. but you can Get a Golden Access passport. Its free for 100% disabled persons. And at some campgrounds I get 50% off and a lot of other places less. Also federal parks I think lots of them you get in free.
    Well worth getting. Even get half price parking at U. S. Army Corps of Engineers boat ramps
    Pete

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I myself am disabled and have never heard of anything like this but I will be checking into it here in Texas. Is there certain paper work that needs to be filled out ?
    Thanks for the thread on this subject. :cool2::big_smile:

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    You can look on the back of your license, or the book that DNR puts out and get a phone#, or address. Just call them and they are more than happy to help explain things.
    Later Andy

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I think I'll stop by the Texas Parks and Wildlife today, it's not far from me.
    Thanks for the info.

:big_smile:

8. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks all you people, If your State does not have it lets find out who is over the conservation in that state and pertition that state to provide that to them. I know thats not a lot of money and Im sure most any one could come up with that amount but after all a person goes through and all the hoops the goverment makes you jump through to rec it that would be the least a state could provide a person. who knows a person that has never fished in there life before could go and not cost them any thing and it might be a turning point in there life and could be just what they need to lift there spirits up. if I could write to any states that dont have this please let me know ( sorry about no periods and just one sentence..) cheers jerry

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I strongly support this post. The other day i picked up a binder from wally world the MODOC published that shows all the places in the state to accommodate hunters and fishermen with disabilities. It took quite an effort to put this publication in the public hands and hopefully the higher ups in the dept. will support this idea.

10. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Here in Missouri they dont understand 1 foot = 100 yards to some who is disabled. Some State agency put up a floating dock at the state park here.....supposedly for handicapped individuals.........easily 120 yards from parking lot. Now that is a big step for the state because they put "snag free"
    structure all around it. This structure consists of treated cardboard retangular in shape mountec on a metal plate with heavy electrical ties holding it together. Someone got rich on this deal:eek:oooh:. Anyway if you dont have a boat round here your treated sub human. I think places run by state arequired to be handicap acessable.:cool2: Good luck with that. Anyway the local
    Convience store/ bait/ marina manager told me to stay away when lt. governor opened the dock to public. Wonder why?

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    This is one thing I must say that the state of Illinois has done very well with over the past few years, yes it took a lot of work and staying on top of the correct people but they finally have recognized that some of us that have become or are disabled still like to enjoy the outdoors. After all is said and done here in Illinois I do have to tip my hat to them, The (IDNR) for the changes that they have made and continue to keep going. It is hard enough to do the every day challenges for some let alone get back out into the outdoors, I have a pretty good list of contacts for hunting and fishing from around different places through out the country from years of meeting and working with others on this also, so if any one has no idea of where to start in a particular state drop me a pm and I sure will give you all the information and any contacts I have to share, and yes most are for hunting, but they are a few more new on fishing every year........ Just remember it may take a little longer and you may have to work a little harder but never quit! Because what you have loved to do before you CAN still accomplish, you may be surprised at the new gadgets that come out everyday to assist in many disabilities.

12. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Give me some input of what to say to Mr. John HoskinsThe Director of the Southwest region of Missouri Dept. Of Conservation. I want to pointing out that ALL people that are on disability should recieve free fishing and hunting Lic. not just a select few. I think it should cover the reasons why All should rec it. The person at Jefferson City office after we talked for a while told me to send him a letter and recommend some changes and that the do listen to the public input.. So help me out with some things to say and send some letters too. If some one has and name and address for the other regions of missouri let us know so the can be informed also.... Thank people so much

13. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If you ppl want to reach me Please PM me and I will give you my E-mail and Phone no. so we can talk. I am open to any Ideas... cheers

14. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I support this post. I think anyone that is disabled should be allowed free licenses, or at the very least a lifetime licensce for very little cost to them

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'll also type a letter. I'm not disabled but support this idea alot.

16. geezer

geezer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :big_smile:I am on service connected dissability, 100%, and can legally fish free, with the correct documentation. Ask your local conservation officer about this, and he/she will be more than willing to tell you more, I'm sure.

FISH-ON !!

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm in KY and my Fishing/Hunting license covers everything and I only have to pay $5 a year for mine. I tried to get a discount in OH but not being a resident I had to pay the full $40 for an annual license just for fishing.
    I wonder if many other states are like this? It sure comes in handy for a disabled person on a fixed income.

18. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I'm 100% VA and get free fishing & hunting. Anything that requires a special tag I still have to pay for (trout, deer, etc.). Eligibility starts at 60%.

I think they should add SSD to the program.

19. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here in Kentucky on our disability we send it in get a card and get our license for 5 dollars

20. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    MDC says you have to be confined to a wheelchair. I think Vets are permit free too but am not sure