Fishing an unknown lake for channels, Where do you start?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by 32841, Jul 8, 2009.

1. 32841

32841 Guest

How do you guys decide where to start fishing when on a new lake for the first time?

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I start at sand bars and entrances to coves.

3. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Yup! and find areas where deep water transistions into shallow flats.

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    look for points with timber/stumps, rock ledges and flats, inlets that have some cover and shallow water that drops off into some deeper stuff(along these edges at night produce some big cats)

If your bank fishing use a slip float for a depth finder and fan cast and drag sinker along the bottom and as your float lays down the water is getting shallower,, adjusting your depth and repeating will give you a idea whats underneath. It takes practice but it can be done.:big_smile:

Good Luck.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Ditto Kenny, I don't want to repeat you. :wink:

6. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sir I am assuming you're fishing out of a boat?
    There are 3 basic locations for channel cats:
    Resting...in my opinion best to avoid til you know the lake. Traveling...my personal favorite. They will follow the creek channels to their feeding locations. This where I would expect the "early bite" in stable summer patterns. I fish off of the channel, towards the shallower water. If there is a junction of two feeder creeks.:big_smile:
    Feeding....great once they arrive. This will be shallower warmer water that contains food, look for and fish near weeds/cover....where little fish hide.

If you pick one of the last two locations, you will benefit by keeping track of when you get action and when it seems to stop, and by picking a smaller lake instead of a 10,000 acre resevoir.
    I personally enjoy chasing them around.