fishing after heavy rain.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mactheaxe, Sep 21, 2009.

1. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    not sure where to post this, so i will here and maybe you helpful moderators can point me to the right place. as most of you in north ga know, this week has given us a LOT of rain. the lake i fish at has risen a good two to three feet, and still rising above the dock even. i went out today when it was just touching the dock, when its usually a foot below, and caught four fine bass. ive never done that off the dock before. what im asking is, does a good rise in waters affect the feeding habits of fish? and secondly, it has dropped the water temp down about 5 to 10 degrees. obviously this is good, but how long after the lake has risen and cooled would it be for optimum fishing? i have a feeling if i go this weekend ill tear the catfish, bass, and brim up. and maybe some crappie? due to cooler waters and beetles and minnows bein more active? bring it people, gimme them words of wisdom.

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Just from my personal experience, a day or two after the rain is my best catchin time. Pretty rare for me to do well during the rain or right when it stops. I'll fish no matter what but if I gotta pick a day, I wait a day.

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    it most certainly does, with the water level rising the big boys will be more active because they know that there's going to be some new food comin down. Rising water condition's is one of my favorite times to fish. Once it has crested look to the places that aren't normally covered by water that have flooded and fish those areas because they are almost gauranteed to be in there eating the worms coming out of the ground, crickets and various other meals.

4. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    Feeder Creeks! I have caught many fish during and after a good rain. As long as the creeks are still pretty high keep close to the feeder creeks.

5. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Like the above post I have great luck fishing where the feeder creeks come rushing in and the bite is on as long as the increased current is there.Also on the flats close to deeper water the cats will go shallow to feed on the newly submerged ground.

6. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    I've had a ton of people tell me when the river is really raging after heavy rains they catch the most flattys. I tend to get my load of snags in those conditions. Can't seem to tell whats hits n whats current unless they slam.

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    we getting alot of water here too Jason. i personally like fishin in the rain. you folks have had five deaths out there, whatever you do brother, just keep safe.

8. festus

festus New Member

I know a good spot where a feeder creek hits a smallish-medium size river I may try tomorrow, but I still don't think I can get in to it yet. Will post if anything happens.

9. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I usally do really well during and after rain.

10. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    well, i went out today for a short fishing trip. caught 4 bass, 2catfish, 2 brim, and a crappie. heres the funny thing. i caught the 2 cats and brim at the dam, they were cold as hell. i think the rain changed the thermocline and cooled the water a good bit. should be fun fishin from here on.

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes when the water is on the rise it makes all and or Most fish become very active. It's when the water level is dropping that they return deep and get sluggish.:wink: