Fishing Activity Predictor??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by DENALI, Jul 16, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When i was a kid (30 years ago) the local bait shop use to hand out a paper card fishing activity predictor about the size of a beer coaster, maybe not quite as thick. On it was a cartoon drawing of a catfish and a worm on a hook and bubbles raising from bottom to top. Those bubble depending on the weather conditions would change from the plain white that the card was to a pink or purple (cant remember the color for sure). The more bubbles that changed color (starting from the bottom going towards the top) the better the fishing. And it was accurate. If went fishing when no bubbles had changed color we would rarely catch a fish. If we went when all the bubbles had changed we couldnt fish with more than one pole because they were biting so fast you didnt have time to rebait and throw out more than one at a time.
    Anyhow i havent seen or heard of these cards (or even know what they are called) since i was a kid. I was hoping someone around here knew of something similar that is available today. Thanks

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've never heard of or seen one of those before but you got my interests peaked as well.

Do you think it was just something that measures barametric pressure???

3. DENALI

DENALI New Member

State:
    Kansas

I dont know. Being it was a paper card i would almost thing humidity would have to be part of the equation but maybe not. Either way it has something to do with the atmospheric conditions to cause the bubbles to turn a color, more bubbles for better conditions starting at the bottom going up. If i recall correctly the highest bubble on whatever day could be slightly colored like the conditions were not quite good enough to make it as fully intense as the bubbles below. So say the bottom 3 bubble would be fully colored pink then the 4th would be slightly pink and the remaining ones above would still be white.
    The other thing i just remembered was it had his business name printed on it which was Basgals Shoe Repair and Bait shop. They have been closed for 20 years as the owner died.

4. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Would be great if we could find someone that still manufactured those and have the BOC printed on them to hand out as a tool for getting new members.

5. DENALI

DENALI New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Any other spots on this forum to ask the same question to get more people to see it?

6. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Never heard of it but hope someone on here has and will post.

7. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Maybe the old timers thread :eek:oooh::smile2: some of them that have been in there may have seen those at one time or another. I'm old enough to have seen them but was an airforce brat so I grew up some over seas probably about the time those were popular.

8. DENALI

DENALI New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Couldnt find an olt timers forum, have a link?

9. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
  10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like a very interesting tool. I would say humidity or barometric, but we know that both of these things have an impact on the bite, so it really makes sense

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sounds pretty neat. I bet someone will figure it out.

-Jim-

12. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    We used to print some checks that had some ink that would change color, as a security measure. The color would change when a little heat would hit the ink. There are also inks that react to ph, or ultraviolet light. There just might be a ink,out there, that responds to barometric pressure.

13. DENALI

DENALI New Member

State:
    Kansas
    No luck so far. Hope someone see's this sooner or later who knows about them!

14. mattelmore

mattelmore New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hey Denali; good news - sort of; I've never seen the cards you're talking about, but I have seen seen software that you pinpoint your location on a map and it gives you a fishing prediction; I've also seen digital hand held units that read atmospheric conditions on-site. The software is about 20 bux; the hand held unit is about 60. Both are easily found through google shopping...

15. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I can usually find anything on the internet if it is out there and so far, I have been stumped. I have not given up though.:wink::sad2::eek:oooh::smile2:

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My wife and I paid fairly close attention to the solunar tables for our locale this year and found that the times given on the tables that coincided close to sun-up and sun-down were indeed good times to fish.

17. DENALI

DENALI New Member

State:
    Kansas
  18. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I'm really intrested just for nostalgic reasons. I'll ask around the family.

19. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    never seen one like that, would be neat to see something like that. Dug around and all I found was the new electronic versions, not sure I need any more electronics in the boat.

20. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    By local bait shops do you mean in kansas?