Fishing Access Below Holtwood Dam?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Hempfieldhunter, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Hempfieldhunter

Hempfieldhunter New Member

State:
    PA
    Looking here on mapquest and I see a road on the york county side, McCalls Ferry Rd. And a trail along the river, can I park along that road and walk down to the river to fish? Is it accessable? Lookinf for a cat fishing spot down there and trying to do some research online before I head down. Thanks!

2. Hempfieldhunter

Hempfieldhunter New Member

State:
    PA
    Looks like another good spot? Any Access from Lancaster side?

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I believe you can do that along river road. i've been up in there with boat, very shallow with some holes. Just pay attention to private property signs. An other option would be to stop down at the power plant Coyne Locks ramp, people bank fish there also. i'm not real familiar with all the bank fishing places along that stretch as i've always been out on the boat, but have seen quite a few bank fishermen along that section of river.

i know if you cross over on 372 and slip down to the state park, i've seen a lot of people bank fishing along there too just below muddy run reservoir discharge.

4. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    On the damn side of the bridge there are plenty of spots to park and walk down to the river. The closer you get to the damn though the longer and harder the hike down to the river is. Once you get down there you can wade (in the summer) almost all the way across the river to the race way. I've caught 100's of channel cats down there in the small to medium range, most of which where caught using minnows while fishing for smallmouths. There is also some nice spots just above the damn with easy access with some much deeper water. I've never fished for cats above the damn but while carp fishing during daylight hours I've often thought that it looked like some very nice places to try after dark, I've just never gotten around to it. (Yet!) As for the river below the bridge on the York Co. side, I believe access is much harder due to privately owned property. I haven't really ventured that way much. There is how ever a boat launch area a bit down that road(not sure of the name - first left after crossing the bridge heading west) that has accessible bank area for fishing.
    I personally like the area between the bridge and damn that when I make the trip out there that's where I fish.