Fishing a tournament..need advice.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tanner, May 11, 2006.

1. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    all right guys. i'm fishing a tournament come tomorrow night. from 7 P.M. to 11 P.M. It's on some guy's property that he's trying to sell and I guess to get people out there and look at it the realty company is having a fishing tournament on his property. I went and checked out the water looks to be about 1.5 acres. First place is $300. Largest fish wins. What I'm wondering...without having any prior knowledge about this pond as far as what the catfish feed on mostly etc...what would be the best bet to use for bait? The guy that owns the pond says there are some monster flats as well as some very nice size channels. I was figuring just using some live cut bluegill as bait seeing as I figured that's the only baitfish available asides from maybe some crappie. It will be in the evening that we will be fishing...should I fish in the shallow water? I think the deepest part of the water is only 15ft. Any tips you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated! :big_smile:

Tanner

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    in a pond of that size the bigger fish arent going to move very far from deep water. i'd use a slip float rig with a gill over or near the deep water set about 6-10ft deep, but move your baits closer to bank right after dark. now if your after channels then fish the edges of the deeper water and if there is any type of structure fish near it. lots of folks will stock farm-raised channels into ponds, if they have done that then fish near bank. those farm channels are conditioned to humans somewhat and arent spooked as easily. i used to fish pay-lakes years ago and would fish ponds of that size or smaller. find the deep water and you'll find the big fish, if there isnt any structure they feel safer there.

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    good advice! thanks!

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Can't say it better. Try live gill on at least one pole.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'll tell you,if you take me with you.Just kidding,I wish I could go though,I agree with them.Also if you have access I would take some goldfish and Israeli carp.I've had some pretty decent luck with the Israeli carp around here.I'd also try some cut shad,the more types of bait you have the better off you are of finding what they want.If you can get some of the crappie,I'd be using them also.Keep us posted on how you did!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!