Fishing a sharp river bend

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by foothills, Mar 24, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    when fishing a sharp river bend like a U...do the fish normally hold to the bank that is on the inside of the bend or on the outside of the bend?...also how do you anchor and present the bait to the fish that are in that bend??

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They hold up on the deep side usully the outside bend. I find the hole and fish upstream from it then move into the deepest part and last away from the hole. That way your bait scent trail will be ahead of you. Once you find where the fish are holding you can fish the other bends the same way. I hope this helps.

3. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    When I fish a sharp bend like that normally the hole is at the upper end of the bottom of the -U if I fish it at night I fish above the hole in about 3-5 feet of water, on the outside of the bend. I seem to have better luck at night doing it this way. In the day time I fish the hole or structure around the hole in deeper water.

4. cntryby

cntryby New Member

State:
    kentucky
    good info thanks guys im gonna give it a try

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for info guys...one other thing though...if you are approaching the bend from the down stream side should you motor thru the bend and then fish it from the up stream side or is that gonna screw up the entire hole...(i'm looking at an average depth of 4 to 7 feet)

6. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    Craig, i know this is gonna sound stupid, but I don't mean it to be. If you can avoid going through the area because of how shallow it is, then it would probaly be better to come in from the upriver side. Or swing the inside of the U if it is wide enough to stay away from the hole. But one thing is certain, if you don't get the bait to them, I can guarantee you that you won't catch 'em.:cool2: Try it and see what happens and let me know your results. I have one simple rule: As long as my hooks are on the boat, I won't catch a thing, they gotta get wet! My bait has even bought into this theory, they assure me that they will catch fish or die trying!